All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Stock cabinet question
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Stock cabinet question Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just finished painting my kitchen cabinets and they look great. I want to get an additional base cabinet, 9 inches wide for extra storage, paint that, then get my new countertop. when I measured the height of my existing countertop it measure 33 1/2, all the stock cabinets are 34 1/2. am I doing something wrong? This is next to my cooktop which continues on to be my breakfast bar. Just wanted to take a little space off the breakfast bar. Any suggestions???

Posts: 8 | Registered: Nov 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It's easy to take 1" off the bottom of a stock cabinet - although the toe kick cutout height may not match that of your other cabinets. You can also shave some off the top, but doubtful if you can get a full inch off of there without getting too close to tops of doors or drawers. Also, the distance from the top of the drawers or doors to the underside of the counter tops is very noticeable.

If you don't mind the slight height difference in the toe kick area, this will be an easy fix. Otherwise, you could be into custom door sizes.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post