All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Help with our WHITE kitchen!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help with our WHITE kitchen! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My wife and I just bought a house, and one of the things we want to update is the kitchen. As you can tell by the picture, the bathroom tile backsplash has got to go. The sellers took the stainless steel refrigerator, and we plan on putting a black one in, but the other appliances are practically brand new and we plan on keeping them despite their glaring whiteness.

The countertops look granite, but they are actually silestone, and they are in great shape, but my wife does not like the look of them. My family has suggested a black backsplash would make the countertops more palatable.

Ideally, my wife would like to completely replace them, but I'm trying to save us a few thousand dollars here, and she's willing to consider some options that might convince her to work around the countertops.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I think this is largely a case of personal preference. To me, this kitchen is huge and beautiful. Even though I wouldn't necessarily choose the color of the countertops, they have a nice earthtone appearance and will look beautiful in fall with some complimentary fall flowers.

My personal preference wouldn't be to add a black backsplash, not only because it wouldn't be complimentary any more than stainless steel would, but also because it would darken that area, where I'm assuming that a lot of food prep would be done. And it will show up stains quite easily.
        Do you have lights underneath the cabinets?

Right now you have two primary colors, white and the pale/rust/brown. If you change out the backsplash to black, you add a third color which won't necessarily be complimentary. If you do want to change the backsplash, have you considered a more neutral but complimentary color? Black makes a really strong statement.

I think you could add some greenery just to add something to the color scheme temporarily while you decide what to do. It looks as though there's space on top of the cabinets for some plants, even silk ones if you prefer.

I think if the perception of a room is one of monotonous colors and blandness, many of the elements seem out of place and unacceptable. If you use some temporary accents to compliment the color scheme, that perception can change and you and your wife might think of other solutions to pulling out the countertops and/or backsplash.

Just MHO. I still think it's a beautiful kitchen!

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for the feedback!

There are a couple of small flourescent lights under the cabinets on the left.

I see your point regarding a third major color. Changing the backsplash is a must-do. I'll post an update later. This picture doesn't do justice to how ugly it is - it is white bathroom tile with the reddish piece in the middle.

We're wide open in regard to what to replace it with. Somebody else suggested rather than black we might want to consider an aged tin or copper? We're definitely open to something more neutral that would compliment the countertops.

I've conceded that the backsplash will be changed; now my wife is open to decorating alternatives that would avoid completely replacing the countertops.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Copper would really compliment the rust/brownish countertop, but it could also be too much of that color together. Perhaps if there were some kind of color break the copper color could help pull together the various elements, maybe even just replacing the red tiles and leaving the white ones. Just a thought.

I see a trip in the near future to someplace that has samples so that you can place them out and compare. The countertops are long and that can be a factor in the choice of colors. A small countertop of a contrasting or complimentary color could have a different effect than a longer one.

Good compromise!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        It's very common to use the same color as the countertops for the backsplash. You can probably buy the same stuff in "tile" in a 12 x 12 size. It all depends on what is available in your area. Or use a complimentary granite tile that will pick up some color in your existing countertops.

Posts: 977 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi,

Your kitchen is really big and its beautiful too. Yes, you need to change the tiles and change some other stuff to give it a more unique look. I would recommend you to take the help of professional kitchen remodeling companies who have good experience in designing asweome kitchen under budget. Just search few companies in this industry and then choose the best one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brianna Dec,

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of John Lehman
        posted Hide Post
        Man, your kitchen is looking already great however yeah I agree that countertop needs to be change. you can try white colour and about backsplash i would say remove the red tiles. This kitchen is big and can look more beautiful by some professional designer advice. last year my wife and I renovated our kitchen and for designing we used the services of http://www.noeldempsey.com/ and they are pretty good at their job and it was under a pocket friendly budget.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John Lehman,

Posts: 2 | Location: Ireland | Registered: Nov 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post