DIY Message Boards
poor design?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/4203913177

Jun 13, 2013, 09:17 PM
sissypig
poor design?
Paid for professional measure and worked with kitchen designer at Home Depot. Innermost cabinets are 24" deep and the refrigerator is 33" deep. that means my refrig sticks out 9"...and the cabinets over the refrig are so far recessed! It looks awful! HD had refrig measurements: I bought them at the same time. Is this a mistake????

Jun 13, 2013, 09:36 PM
Frodo
same thing happened to me. i had a house built and bought the biggest baddest fridge i could find
intill i pulled a tape. lucky for me it was not delivered yet
IF... they had the measurements when it was designed
its there fault. but they will not do anything about it. the designer should have looked at the fridge measurements. and either had you return the big fridge or had a wall moved to accomidate it
nice kitchen,
just my

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Jun 13, 2013, 09:41 PM
Jaybee
You could call it a Home Depot mistake or you could cal it a by-product of the cabinet line. In either case, the refrigerator issue is usually done differently.

The problem probably starts with the cabinets only offering a 24" deep side panel. Big box stores usually deal with a smaller selection of stock cabinet pieces. So a 24" end panel is what is offered.

A regular cabinet shop would also offer a 32" panel to go on either side of the refrigerator. The 36" top cabinet would then be projected off the wall so that the face is also 32" out. that's how it's usually done for larger, deeper refrigerators.

You might as well go talk to them about it. They will either tell you that you approved the design so that's what you get or they will amit that they did not consider the size of the refrigerator when they did the deign and fix it. On the plus side, it's not a hard fix as long as they can get deeper side panels.

Jaybee