All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    refrigerator size
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

refrigerator size Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I just got my kitchen remodeled and I would like to by a fridge. The space that I have for the fridge is 35 1/2 wide and 70 inches high, depth 24 inches. I would like to know what type of fridge that I can get for this space? Do I have to leave space on the sides of it, or does it have to be exact? I've heard that it shouldn't be exact because the motor will get messed up but I'm not sure. Is this true or not?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the refrigerator gets cool inside because it pumps all the heat outside. to the bottom and back. check the manual online for a typical fridge (I'm out in the Ham Cave and it's not accessible now) but there should be an inch or two around all sides and the back.

also consider the top and sides are bowed out on fridges now, due to the foam-on-place construction, so you have to allow a little space for that, too.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5720 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The depth of your cabinets is 24 inches, refrigerators are usually deeper than that, and don't forget the inch or two behind it for circulation.

If you want to step up and pay the big bucks, you can get a refrig 24 inches deep, but those usually need planning ahead of time for installation, and the cost is high.

Watch that 35 1/2 inch width also, cabinet people I deal with leave a full 36 inches, but that might have been best they could do considering size and design of kitchen.

They do make refrigerators that are built in, so they need to be exact. But what you do is pick the refrig, and then the cabinet company makes everything so that refrig will fit in like a glove. And those are expensive.

Posts: 945 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        GE makes a French door fridge that is about 32.5" wide. It is 22.1 cf. Maytag and whirlpool also make slimmer fridges. A bigger one (like 26cf+) is gonna be 36" wide.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        In my first townhouse back in the 1980's I had my brand new bottom freeze, French door refrigerator delivered to my new house. The only way I could get it to fit in the space the builder left me was to remove the hinges off the pantry door, remove the base trim on the one wall and slide the refrigerator into the space. I then put the hinges back on the pantry door and trimmed the baseboard to the front grill of the fridge. I never moved that refrigerator again in the 4 years I owned the house. I sold it with the house.

Lesson learned, check the space before you order your fridge.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 716 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post