All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    TUES Worst Kitchen in America Special premieres
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

TUES Worst Kitchen in America Special premieres Sign In/Join 
        Picture of DIYAdmin2
        posted
        Tues., Jan. 18 @ 9 p.m. ET Worst Kitchen in America Special premieres

Across the country, home cooks whose kitchens are cramping their style entered to win a complete kitchen overhaul. This one-hour special features the lucky winner's transformation from Worst Kitchen in America to the ultimate chef's kitchen. Hosted by licensed contractor Matt Blashaw, this special documents a unique and specially tailored kitchen renovation courtesy of DIY Network's home improvement experts and Food Network Magazine.

Posts: 298 | Location: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Oct 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Haha! Too bad DIY won't come to Indiana, because my "new" home certainly could have competed in this category.

Posts: 3 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Feb 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        why won't they come to Indiana
        I would have a perfect nightmare for a show
        a "U" shaped kitchen/dining area last updated in the 1940s
        the house is 1840s
        LOL they'd have thier hands full Wink

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Looking for some innovative ideas for my kitchen. Any suggestions?

watch case
        watch cases

This message has been edited. Last edited by: woods dellis,

Posts: 1 | Location: 73 Armstrong Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07305 0 | Registered: May 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of onebadmofo
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Mopar:
        why won't they come to Indiana
        I would have a perfect nightmare for a show
        a "U" shaped kitchen/dining area last updated in the 1940s
        the house is 1840s
        LOL they'd have thier hands full Wink

Because shooting shows in the California area (meaning western half of the US) is how TV is done. You'll NEVER see DIY in the eastern half of the US....NEVER. Another thing you'll never see....a DIY show renovating a semi detached or attached row home. I'm not sure why but my guess would be, Not enough room for camera crews. And usually, the streets aren't big enough.

In other words, if you don't have enough money to buy a single home on a big street, then you can't get help (sometimes FREE help) from DIY with your renovation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onebadmofo,

---The ultimate rookie of home improvement

Posts: 8 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: May 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        LOL...our's is pretty bad. We've had several construction guys in it and they point out all the flaws. The one they missed is funny. Can we add Bad Sound Effects? LOL Turn on the exhaust fan, I thought we had a dead duck in it. We try cooking without having to use it. Right now....let's just say Donald doesn't want to be near it.

When the shows air, I watch and just shake my head at how others are, too. It makes me feel I'm NOT alone. TY to all who are in the same boat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trish212,

"I don't know what the future holds, but I know WHO holds the future."

Posts: 25 | Location: earth | Registered: Sep 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have the worst kitchen in the world! Very little cabinet space, small area for fridge, no counter space, not enough outlets, a tiny pass-thru...I could go on & on. It's got a load-bearing wall so we cannot enlarge it. And even if we did, there's a bay window on the other side of the wall that makes putting anything there impossible. I wish this program was in the Atlanta area!! We watch DIY all the time and we know you guys could come up with a solution but it is truly beyond us what to do!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Welcome, angela bruno [Sign Out]

I have the ugliest kitchen & 2bathrooms ever. If you ever come to orlando I would love to get an estimate & ideas. the whole kitchen has to be gutted.

Thank you
        Angela

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi this message is actually for my parents. My dad has been work so very hard to put there house back together. The house flooded and it taken 3yrs to be fix by a contractor name Shawn Moore and instead of fixing the house and putting the heat and air he gives excuse.He had also stoled at least 40,000, So my parents have used what money they had to get the bath and bedrooms done, but they still have no heat and now mt dad had slipped at least 2 disk in his and they don't know what do. I'm pleading for help they live in orangevale. Frown

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I'd love to have them come to my kitchen disater. I've paid to have my floors replaced twice already, still have such a problem that I can't put on any covering as it's still not level. Diswasher is new but sitting in the room not installed properly. If they came to Ga/my house they would go screaming into the night. Be careful who you hire, I thought I was.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        wow didn't realize I would get a response from a site selling kitchen cabiinets.....really marieSmithee?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I know that out there are kitchens that do not function correctly. How about a house that has a v shaped kitchen in the middle? No real space for two to cook and a work area that is small (in a 2400 foot home). We bought this place almost three years ago and love to throw bar be ques - but we do have trouble getting everything done together for meals. The kitchen makes the dining room really small and odd shaped. Laminate counters that are peeling on the edges, cracked in places and just down right ugly, plug in's that may have the reset button, but the reset button has to be pushed almost every time the dishwasher starts. The house itself is pretty nice, the kitchen makes it feel like a gateway to hell.

Posts: 1 | Location: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Apr 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I don't live in California, but I do live in the northwest. My problem is that I live in the middle of nowhere. We got a quote from a kitchen remodeling place, and on top of the basic cost they wanted to charge gas. Really?

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of garethcooper9
        posted Hide Post
        Yeah, I've also heard of instances when contractors charge for transport expenses. It is not uncommon. It sound unfair but at the end of the day it is an expense and somebody needs to pay for that

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Amen to the won't come to Indiana, We are just as misfortunent as the next person, but yet you never see a program that they help out in Indiana?? We are in the middle of nowhere.

Posts: 1 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Jan 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I applied for the worst Kitchens in America over, and over, and over,.... never got it. Seems to me that we live in the wrong area of the country, Montana. Just modeled 3/4 of our house ourselves. It turned out awesome Smile The best advice I could give anyone considering redoing the kitchen???? Get an electric skillet. I premade a ton of food and froze it ahead of time, but we ate like kings apparently, and it didn't last long. lol. The electric skillet saved the day. Plus, who can afford to eat out for 3 weeks?
        Our old kitchen was super ugly, with no counter space or storage. Get started by talking to kitchen remodelers. Often times they will redesign a kitchen on paper for free. You don't have to do business with them, but at least you will have an outsiders perspective on what you could do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wallashakalla,

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        As professional remodelers, we do a lot of kitchens. Most times we will salvage the sink base/counter top/sink and move it to another room if we can cobble up some plumbing. Same with the stove, fridge and microwave. It makes a huge difference on the anxiety level if there is some form of functioning kitchen in the house whole the real kitchen is torn apart. Makes it easier on both our clients and us.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I think there's too much competition in the field to be able to pinpoint the "worst" kitchen. I've seen my share of bad one's and they're all bad in some pretty unique ways.

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have a kitchen that would certainly qualify and I'm on the west coast?

My husband and I have moved out of our small home to live with my parents to care for them; they are in ill health. I work 50 hours a week and my husband has a rare genetic disorder that makes his nose bleed at the drop of a hat for hours at a time (his current record is 14 hours) so needless to say my house is not in the same shape as when we purchased. As our first home we didn't know much about what to look for in a home; thanks to HGTV & DYI I know much more now. Any who, my kitchen is small, almost no counter space, no doors on the few upper cabinets, the space is cramped, the appliances are mismatched and someone thought that white 4" square ceramic tile (like you would find in a shower) would work nice as a kitchen counter. The sink is so close to the window frame I can't get behind the faucet to dry the water so I have a serious mold problem. The upper cabinets have no doors, the ceramic tile floor is white and green with many cracks. Cosmetically it is a mess with yellow paint on the wall but blue, red & green enamel paint on the trim. Since we need to take care of my parents, my ugly kitchen needs a big makeover so I can either sell the house or turn it into rental property. Trying to support 2 households on my single income is rough. Thanks for listening.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Diana52,

Diana Morrison

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I live in a 1920's rental home. The kitchen has never been updated. Believe me this kitchen would have made the grade to be on the show. I want to paint the kitchen cabinets white. How is the best way to do this? What else could I do? I also have no dishwasher except myself and my grandchildren

Posts: 1 | Location: Belmont, N.C. | Registered: Sep 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post