All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Knob / Drawer Pull template...5"
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Knob / Drawer Pull template...5" Sign In/Join 
        Picture of jjelinek03
        posted
        Has anyone had any luck finding a good template fixture for installing knobs on wall cabinets and 5" drawer pulls..I haven't had good luck so far..

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        make your own template

Posts: 2504 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        that's generally something you make from scrap on the site, once you are really sure where you want the knobs. double up some painters tape as a sorta fakey knob, place it on a door, and see if it really opens the thing first.

now take some tape and actually place it and mark the Magic Hole Place.

if you have doors closing together, put one on the other side of that pair, mark the Magic Hole Place same as the first.

get a piece of scrap wood, temporarily clamp it over there, edge to edge, so when you put another couple pieces of wood on the edges of the door, there are no gaps. for those other scraps will be nailed to the first.

on the first one, mark your hole location as determined when you placed the tape. measure from the edges, now. mark that on the front piece of wood.

to make the template flippable so it hits both doors on a meeting set, now nail your side-stop boards so half of them is behind the door, and half in front.

your jig is ready. drill out the marked hole, one drill bit size larger than the screw is. place it and insure you see the hole marks on the painters tape in your two test doors.

drill 'em all out and mount hardware.

if pulls on drawers are centered, just put down painters tape, draw diagonals corner to corner, and drill at X marks the spot. if they are raised higher than dead center, make another template for them to mark the height. on each drawer, lay a piece of painters tape and mark center left-to-right, and use that to align the template.

that's really all there is to it. save your templates. I save mine in the same shoebox that holds scrap ends of all the molding I've used in the house, so I can match the pattern some day in the future. label the stuff.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5489 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Lowes and Home Depot have one that only cost about $3.00 in the same area as the knobs and handle are.
        Real simple to figure out how to use.

joecaption

Posts: 17993 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post