All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Help! New Homeowners!!
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Help! New Homeowners!! Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We're working on our kitchen, and can't decide on colors. We have black appliances and dark brown/walnut cabinets. We want to change the back splash, floor, and counter tops. Any ideas?

All the choices are overwhelming!! Confused

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Well, given the predominance of dark already in the kitchen, I'd go for something light, but not white as sometimes white can be too harsh.

Get some paint samples from HD, Lowe's and test out colors. Even if you're changing the backsplash, the paint samples will provide a color pallette to give you some ideas, then you can select your tile. I don't know if you can get tile, floor or countertop samples, but if so, that would help so you can see how the color ranges blend or contrast.

I'm partial to ivories, eggshell - pale neutral colors, which I think would compliment your existing color scheme.

As to the floor, I would think a lighter color would again be preferable to something dark. Same with the countertop, especially for food prep - that's where you really need something light to see what you're cutting. Wink

On the other hand, some folks like vibrant colors and might want something like a red backsplash. It all depends really on your individual choice(s).

Posts: 1949 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Whatever color you want, but make sure it blends with any rooms that are near it. I would go with a neutral, lighter floor - my personal choice would include something that looks like a coffee spill in it. Are you painting the walls and back splash? The more permanent the item, the more neutral it should be. Paint is cheap in the scheme of thinks and can be easily changed. I love color, and have a red kitchen, chosen so that when my parrot flicks red grape skins, it blends in. :-)

Posts: 2497 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of KBTrendsMag
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Jamie,

I definitely agree with GardenSprite, in that you should definitely opt for lighter colors to contrast the dark colors you already have.

I think if used correctly, white would actually complement the dark fixtures nicely. If your budget allows, a trend we're seeing is subway tiles for the backsplash. This brings some texture to the room and makes it easier to clean than paint.

If your backsplash is white, your wall paint could be a nice light blue or green. It'll make the space feel brighter without being too harsh on the eyes.

I attached an example of what I'm envisioning.

Don't feel overwhelmed! Just go with your gut and everything will fall in place. And remember, there are no rules when it comes to interior design! Have fun!

Samantha Epstein
        Editor-in-Chief, Kitchen Bath Trends Magazine
        www.kitchenbathtrends.com

white backsplash

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post