All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Metal edging on kitchen countertop
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Metal edging on kitchen countertop Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm buying a house that was built in the 50's. The kitchen counters need a makeover. They're laminate with metal edging that has to go. I don't want to completely replace the counters, but how do I paint or put new laminate on the counter in the spot where the edging has been removed?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Sometimes it's best to start over. This is one of those times.

Short of finding new metal edging, nothing will look good with the old laminate. New laminate tops are not that expensive, although you will have install labor. Certainly a more modern laminate choice with a rolled edge will do a lot more to upgrade your place than trying to retrim 60 year old laminate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10094 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Laminate is cheap. Jaybee is correct. Either live with the edging or get new tops.

Posts: 2484 | Registered: Apr 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Depends on what you're looking to do. I'm into retro so my metal edging stays. If yours is in bad shape and you want the retro look, retrorenovation.com has a source for replacement edging. In my other house, I removed the metal edging, replaced with 1/2 round or another molding of your choice and paint to match the cabinets or laminate. I could have had someone replace the laminate, previous posters are correct, it's not that hard or expensive but I just couldn't deal with the expense, etc. at the time. I see the comment "I'm" buying which may be you, like me, are on your own. Some of these "simple" things are tough if you don't have someone else to help. I personally leave calling in the troops for when I have to get it done and can't do it myself. Can I get the sink disconnected and remove the counter top myself? Absolutely! Can I lift the sink to get it out of the counter top and carry the top out the front door, no.
        Good luck and have fun with your new house. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I agree with, Jaybee! It’s better to replace the countertops. But, if you want to keep them, the best solution is to cover them with tiles (any type or color you want). I recently did my kitchen countertops. I used Bondera to stick the tiles and they turned out great.
        Good luck with the kitchen remodeling!

Posts: 26 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Bondera sucks, bad product

Posts: 868 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
        Bondera sucks, bad product

Christine is a shill for Bondera; she hawks it like she has stock in the company. Only thing lacking is a link to a Bondera website.

Posts: 1728 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        there are at least a dozen styles and edge treatments of laminate counters at one midwest home center alone. you can duplicate the ones that are not rolled edges yourself if you want to take a little time. we didn't like the quote for manufactured countertops with the 45 miter and oak/maple/whatever inlay, so I fooled about with the router and some half-inch oak and leftover pieces of furniture MDF and taught myself how to make that same countertop.

heh, furniture-grade MDF... it's like "military intelligence" or "Congressional deliberation." but it has uniformity and works easily.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5478 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:

Christine is a shill for Bondera;

Yes, and it's gotten old. I just figured maybe if I bad mouth these advertisements, they might stop.

Posts: 868 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Re-mdlr:
        Yes, and it's gotten old. I just figured maybe if I bad mouth these advertisements, they might stop.

I guess she needs to get a heart to heart talk from Scripps.

Isn't she also the one who thinks subway tiles are a solution for any tiling need?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1728 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        needs the spam buster....garden sprite to zap her...

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post