All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Kitchen Sinks
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Kitchen Sinks Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am doing an economy remodel, but I would like a long lasting, scratch resistant, no chip kitchen sink. What material would you recommend. I soooo dislike stainless steel, but will use it if it is relatively inexpensive and all of the above. Cast Iron sounds like it would be very durable. Composite, granite, copper, acrylic, or anything I missed. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated! Smile

Thankyou,
        Juliana

Posts: 5 | Location: tennessee | Registered: Oct 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        For economy, your best bet will be a nice grade of stainless. Your other choices are going to be fairly pricy.

Jaybee

Posts: 10477 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        agree. but let me add this
        if you cheap out and buy a 50 dollar big box stainless sink. you weill see rust around the drain hole later, AND the insulation on the bottom of it is lacking, it will sound like your filling up a wash bucket
        go with a 16 gauge sink opposed to a 18 gauge

shop at your plumbing supply,compair their price to big box

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thankyou. That seems to be the opinion of many. I just really dislike it. Roll Eyes

Thanks again. I will check out the lower guage stainless steel.

The granite looks so nice though. I wonder if it would chip?? You can't really go by the big box salespeople. They are usually unsure.

Posts: 5 | Location: tennessee | Registered: Oct 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        any and all marble/porcilin will chip if abused
        a good kohler cast iron sink will last forever
        if treated right...you cant throw a skillet in the sink...lay it in there..
        imho, cast iron over ss drop in, not under counter

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thankyou everyone. I really appreciate it!!!!

posted Hide Post
        you should never put a hot pan of any sort directly into a sink.

another good cast-iron sink is Eljer aka American Standard, but the Kohler line of plumbing fixtures is an icon unto itself.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of John Lehman
        posted Hide Post
        you can use cast iron in kitchen sink. its very durable and looks pretty good .. however everything has its own advantages and disadvantages. so don't be confused in choice. choose that material which comprise all the features you want. in my opinion go for cast Iron. and whatever material you use, always remember not to put any hot bowl or frying pan directly in sink. Smile

Posts: 2 | Location: Ireland | Registered: Nov 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I agree with #2 go for stainless... you'll get more for your money. Just clean it carefully.

Posts: 3 | Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Nov 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of KBTrendsMag
        posted Hide Post
        Hi Juliana,

One of the biggest trends we're seeing right now is a fireclay sink. While slightly more expensive than stainless steel, we find that the benefits of this material justify the slight cost increase. With fireclay, you get a long lasting, stain, scratch, chip kitchen sink that is also extremely stylish. It's also resistant to thermal shock, so extreme hot or cold temperatures will have a limited effect on the sink.

I hope you find the perfect sink!

Samantha Epstein
        Editor-in-Chief, Kitchen Bath Trends Magazine
        www.kitchenbathtrends.com

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post