All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    tile backsplash and outlets
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

tile backsplash and outlets Sign In/Join 
        posted
        installed the tile backsplash but now have the problem of the light switches and outlets being below the tile. how do i fix this as i thought i had everything covered when i double and triple watched the diy video of installing the backsplash..

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        So the best time to think of that is before you install the tile backsplash. But I'm going to guess that didn't happen. That's ok, check your local supply house for electrical box extenders. And you'll need longer screws to attach the outlets -- they are size "6/32". You'll need them 1.5 inch long depending on the distance and how you did the backsplash.

Click on this link for help on it: Click here

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        And depending on how you did this, you may have a little extra work added to your project. If you tiled over the metal ends of the outlets and switches, you may have to damage the outlets to get them out. You will need those 'ears' on the outlets to sit on top of the tile to keep the outlets on the proper plane when reinstalled with the longer bolts that Re-mdlr has recommended.

Jaybee

Posts: 10117 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Ouch, I have to rethink my answer. Since it is tile, not wood, all you have to do is get those outlets outside of the tile, or replace them, and as Jaybee said you have to get those "ears" to set on the tile. You may not need those extenders at all. It just depends on how far away the original outlet boxes are. If they were set too deep to begin with, then you may want to use the extenders for better support of the outlet. But if the original boxes are close to the tile, you don't need extenders -- but will most likely need longer screws.

Posts: 873 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I believe you could remove the tile from the areas you want to repair, and then fix the whole thing with a tile adhesive.

Posts: 26 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post