DIY Message Boards
tile backsplash and outlets

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8091013504/m/2243937967

Apr 14, 2013, 05:31 PM
shelbymom
tile backsplash and outlets
installed the tile backsplash but now have the problem of the light switches and outlets being below the tile. how do i fix this as i thought i had everything covered when i double and triple watched the diy video of installing the backsplash..
Apr 14, 2013, 07:17 PM
Re-mdlr
So the best time to think of that is before you install the tile backsplash. But I'm going to guess that didn't happen. That's ok, check your local supply house for electrical box extenders. And you'll need longer screws to attach the outlets -- they are size "6/32". You'll need them 1.5 inch long depending on the distance and how you did the backsplash.

Click on this link for help on it: Click here

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
Apr 14, 2013, 08:19 PM
Jaybee
And depending on how you did this, you may have a little extra work added to your project. If you tiled over the metal ends of the outlets and switches, you may have to damage the outlets to get them out. You will need those 'ears' on the outlets to sit on top of the tile to keep the outlets on the proper plane when reinstalled with the longer bolts that Re-mdlr has recommended.

Jaybee
Apr 15, 2013, 10:56 AM
Re-mdlr
Ouch, I have to rethink my answer. Since it is tile, not wood, all you have to do is get those outlets outside of the tile, or replace them, and as Jaybee said you have to get those "ears" to set on the tile. You may not need those extenders at all. It just depends on how far away the original outlet boxes are. If they were set too deep to begin with, then you may want to use the extenders for better support of the outlet. But if the original boxes are close to the tile, you don't need extenders -- but will most likely need longer screws.
Apr 19, 2013, 11:24 AM
Christine Welby
I believe you could remove the tile from the areas you want to repair, and then fix the whole thing with a tile adhesive.