All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Kitchen    Fake wood laminate on cabinets,paint?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Fake wood laminate on cabinets,paint? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of katiezmomme
        posted
        our cabinets are hideous,and I am looking for a cheap fix until we can redo the rooms.
        In our bathroom and kitchen are "partical board" covered in a laminate" wood look thin layer" cabinets. Wondering if I could rough up with sandpaper, prime, and paint them as a temporary fix. Would it be worth the time and money.
        Baby on the way soon, so new cabinets have been moved back to the bottom of the list,could be years before changing them.Help!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        I would skip the sandpaper. Just clean them well to remove any soap or oil residue. TSP in hot water, then a clear water/wrung rag rinse. Allow to dry really well. Use paintable Caulk or wood filler, on any cracks or seams that might be open. Prime with a good water base primer. (I like Zinser 1 2 3) and paint with a couple of coats of an acrylic enamel. Make sure to allow enough drying time between coats.

Is it worth it? I would try the bathroom first...and see what you think.
        Kitchen will involve a lot more time and extra hardware removal to accomplish.

Posts: 6890 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post