All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Archive  Hop To Forums  General Automotive    ABS/REG BRAKE LIGHTS
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

ABS/REG BRAKE LIGHTS Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My ole 99 Dodge truck is acting up again. ABS light and Regular brake lights are coming on. They stay on, until I turn engine off, restart and they might come back on and they might not, but most of the time they will come back on, short trips, less than 10 miles. Truck sits for 6 months in Ind winter weather. Two years ago, front brake lines, pads and rotors replaced. Back brakes not touched. Brake fluid is not low in reservoir nor have I seen any spots or leaks around any of the wheels. Seems to brake just fine. Getting ready to leave it sit again for 6 months, but would like to know if there is something I can check or do to determine what might be wrong. I've only driven the truck about 2,500 miles since new front brakes. tks for the help

Posts: 242 | Registered: Oct 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if somebody standing behind the truck sees your brake lights when you hit the brakes, it's not a sensor issue. well, shouldn't be. Mopars are pitifully behind the rest of the world in implementing a brake/shift lockout, in which you can't get out of park if your foot is not on the brake pedal for keeps. that is the single best way to test a brake light switch, which also feeds the computer data, either through a diode or directly.

next thing IMPHO is to have somebody safely at the side of the road as you drive almost-past at a reasonable speed, maybe a little sand on the road. hit the brakes hard when you hit the sand. if the back wheels stop turning, then it's not a brake failure.

which then leaves two issues that might be goofy computers. disconnect the battery, eat supper, then come back out and reconnect it. if the issues persist, the computer needs to be checked for error codes. if gone, there could be wiring flakies, open and close the connectors affecting these circuits a few times to clean the contacts.

the regular brake light could be from a crummy pressure sensor switch on the bottom of the brake master cylinder, too.

the ABS indication could be a little flake or some whiskers of loose steel hanging on the ABS sensors at one or more wheels. about the only practical way to get them off is take the wheel off, take the brake cylinder off and set it safely aside without "turning the hose over," which breaks the hose inside, remove the brake disc, and whisk and blow the clinging whiskers off the sensor with pressurized air and brushes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I know this is an old post, but on the off chance you're still looking...

Do you mean the ABS light on the dash is coming on? I had this happen on my 1999 Ford F150. It was a bad sensor on the rear differential, cost me $20 and 20 minutes to install. I suspect Dodge has something similar.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 604 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        If I can take my gear shift out of park without my foot on the brake, can this cause the issue with the ABS/BRAKE LIGHTS coming on? When <like I have said before> start engine, no ABS/BRAKE lights on. After driving a few miles, they will come on and stay on until I stop truck, then if I restart truck later, no lights, again until I drive a while. I have checked fuses, brake lights work when brake pedal pressed. Brakes seem to work just fine, just lights come on. I even disconnected battery, left over night to reset computer, and once again, after driving a while, lights come on. Where can I find out how to check differential sensor? HELP

Posts: 242 | Registered: Oct 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Here is a youtube video and it appears the Dodge set up is pretty much identical to the set up on my F-150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ICl_HuwGk

Mine would come and go for a while before coming on and staying on. I never had the issues with the speedo or the emergency brake light with my truck.

My brakes worked fine, it is just a sensor issue. The sensor is a little gear that spins off of the rear diff to detect the speed of the truck, it wears out and sends faulty readings which causes the computer to turn on the ABS light. Apparently at least on the Dodge it is also the speedo pick up, it could be on my Ford as well it may be that mine didn't get as bad as the sensor on this guys Dodge. If you are relatively handy and not afraid to get your hands dirty you can fix this in 20 minutes for about $20.

Good luck and let us know if this was the problem with your Dodge.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 604 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: Aug 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post