All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Archive  Hop To Forums  General Automotive    Battery problem perhaps?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Battery problem perhaps? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi to all,

My daughters 2006 Gran Prix is having battery problems, I took it to Advance Auto to have it checked. Their machine says the battery is rated at 7oo cca,s but it is showing its charging at 1300 cca,s. I am thinking alternator problem or started ,any suggestions, thanks for any and all advice.

Posts: 3 | Location: Kinston | Registered: Oct 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        real simple question... how old is that battery? the 48 and 60 month warranties are limited to those times for a reason.

a battery and charger load test should show what is up here. the battery, fully charged, is loaded down with a carbon pile to check the voltage, and then the car is started, and the charge current is measured with the same instrument.

other issues are the always-popular underhood or glovebox bulb that is always on, weak or leaking air shocks in autolevellers that keep the compressor running periodically, or a failed small accessory that draws current all the time.

alternator failures include a bad regulator that is putting out more voltage than a normal 13.8 volts (cooks the battery well done,) one or two failed diodes in the bridge or trio so it doesn't put out much current, or a crusty connection to the engine computer that cuts the alternator out most of the time, instead of just when she hammers the gas pedal for more power.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5479 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your reply, the battery is at least 48 months old.
        I got a new battery and it cranked fine except I could hear a clicking sound like the starter solenoid. I don’t think it is that though because there would be some problems starting.

Posts: 3 | Location: Kinston | Registered: Oct 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        simple test, with the car running
        unhook the battery, if it stops, its the alternator

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for all the help, I got a new battery and so far no problems Cool