DIY Message Boards
Battery problem perhaps?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7711916776/m/8983919477

Oct 31, 2013, 03:49 PM
jimmyedwards
Battery problem perhaps?
Hi to all,

My daughters 2006 Gran Prix is having battery problems, I took it to Advance Auto to have it checked. Their machine says the battery is rated at 7oo cca,s but it is showing its charging at 1300 cca,s. I am thinking alternator problem or started ,any suggestions, thanks for any and all advice.
Nov 01, 2013, 12:01 PM
swschrad
real simple question... how old is that battery? the 48 and 60 month warranties are limited to those times for a reason.

a battery and charger load test should show what is up here. the battery, fully charged, is loaded down with a carbon pile to check the voltage, and then the car is started, and the charge current is measured with the same instrument.

other issues are the always-popular underhood or glovebox bulb that is always on, weak or leaking air shocks in autolevellers that keep the compressor running periodically, or a failed small accessory that draws current all the time.

alternator failures include a bad regulator that is putting out more voltage than a normal 13.8 volts (cooks the battery well done,) one or two failed diodes in the bridge or trio so it doesn't put out much current, or a crusty connection to the engine computer that cuts the alternator out most of the time, instead of just when she hammers the gas pedal for more power.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Nov 01, 2013, 03:36 PM
jimmyedwards
Thanks for your reply, the battery is at least 48 months old.
I got a new battery and it cranked fine except I could hear a clicking sound like the starter solenoid. I don’t think it is that though because there would be some problems starting.
Nov 02, 2013, 03:57 AM
Frodo
simple test, with the car running
unhook the battery, if it stops, its the alternator
Nov 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
jimmyedwards
Thanks for all the help, I got a new battery and so far no problems Cool