All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Archive  Hop To Forums  General Automotive    pinion seal replacement on rear axle
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

pinion seal replacement on rear axle Sign In/Join 
        posted
        i have a 1999 ford f350 superduty supercab dually pickup with turbo diesel,66000 miles on. i am original owner..question is can i replace the pinion seal on the rear axle myself(it leaks a little when park on slight hill)..if i can do this myself ,how would i do yhis? i am pretty mechanically inclined.. any feed back would be greatly appreciated.. thanks jim

Posts: 166 | Registered: Feb 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        genericaly speaking, drop the axle after marking where each piece came from with metal pen, remove the water cover, pry out the old seal without scratching anything, press in the new one, reassemble. get a Chilton or Haynes manual at the parts store and read up on your particular application. warning, danger, fattening... that axle is heavy as he1l. get a helper.

drain the fluid first, have spare on hand as well as friction modifier if you have a limited-slip axle. you probably need to get the right size socket to fake having the correct axle seal tool, and lubricate the seal before pressing in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        i am a little confused to dropping axle (unless u meant driveshaft)..next is remove water cover ? i think i go get a chilton book like you suggested,, thanks for your reply jimbo

posted Hide Post
        yeah, I meant drive shaft. guess I've made my mistake for the month now. some vehicles have a splash guard or water cover over the pinion gear seal on the front of the gearcase, some don't. it could be a "flinger" circle or cup.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks for the reply. yes i noticed there seems to be some sort of guard there,, i just hope it does not be come a problem when i try to remove the yokee thing thanks again jim