All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  Best-Built Home    dream home
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

dream home Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Just to start a discussion and as the song goes " If I were a rich man " I would build a home that would have a bathroom in every bedroom with a half bath near the living room. A laundry room near the bedrooms, , sunken living room, and best of all, overlooking the intracoastal waterway on the east coast of florida
        Also, absolutely no closed circuit security system that is spammed in this forum
        Hmmm, what else ???????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2502 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Nona, you might need an electrified fence to keep out the spammers. Maybe interspersed with barbed wire.

I'd have a greenhouse large enough to be considered a conservatory, a distillation and herbal drying room, a north facing summer kitchen and south facing winter kitchen. There would be a huge butler's pantry to hide everything that I don't want in the kitchens.

And of course a walk-in root cellar is a must, connected either to the garage or the basement.

Laundry room would be on the first floor - absolutely. No more lugging laundry up from the basement.

The shower and kitchen would be connected to grey water waste lines for garden watering.

A breezeway and attached garage would be ideal. The garage would be extra large, with ample lighting and space for a woodworking shop.

I'd also have a studio with very, very ample light, and built-in storage all around the perimeter of the room.

A climate controlled library with a hidden safe would be a real bonus.

And of course a sun porch for morning lemonade in the summer and hot chocolate in the winter.

One of those massive centrally located (Scandinavian?) fireplaces would be ideal to keep the house warm after winter power failures.

I like the view from your dream home - perhaps the waterway would be populated with Florida wildlife. It would be a soothing way to relax at the beginning and end of a day.

And by the way, your dream home would have a lot of bathrooms. Only problem with that is the cleaning. Or would that be your responsibility? Big Grin

Great topic, Nona, especially for a Monday morning when the closed circuit and the generator guys are already here with what I assume will be their usual drivel (which I never read).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        our little casa is closing in on this. we do NOT have oodles of granite and ipay and HDTV in every open space, which is fine. it would be nice to open up kitchen to living room, but then we'd have zip diddly nothing for a kitchen.

garage could be bigger; between some clutter and the workshop we barely have room to get one car in for repairs.

we totally redid the basement, it's useable and functional and the bigscreen is nice.

the biggest failures in "dream home" category are that we are still paying on it, the garden is never done, and my hamshack is outside in a shed.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5483 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        cleaning the bathrooms ? first of all that would be my maids problem, second, if there isn't any maid, whoever lives in that bedroom would have that responsibility or else live in a room with furry walls.If the room is only used for guests, hopefully they wouldn't stay long enough for the bathroom to get scuzzy.
        Now that the house is built ( in my imagination ) I think I would need a small dock to tie up my small boat that is just large enough to get me out to the gulf stream for a days fishing. We,ve had 2 small boats in our past, the "kay-Dee " named for our children (16 ft. ) and the (get this, I love it ) the " sea-deucer " (22 ft ) She was my wifes only competition , I spent money on her like a drunken sailor, but she gave me many pleasurable days

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nona,

Posts: 2502 | Location: florida | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by nona:
        ... I spent money on her like a drunken sailor, but she gave me many pleasurable days

Guess that's what it's all about, isn't it? Boats are made for pleasure and relaxation.

Attractive family, Nona. That fish is quite a whopper. How many pounds was it?

Swschard, this is a dream post. You can have all the space you want, even imaginary maids as Nona would have. So dream that it's all paid for, the garden is massive, the hired gardeners do all the work, and you have a custom designed ham shack with state-of-the art equipment.

Given those imaginary factors, what would you really want?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Mrs. Jaybee and I designed our 'dream home' shortly after getting engaged. We built it about a year and a half after getting married. We spent a lot of time planning and designing to make the perfect house to fit our remote and wooded lot. Large rooms, lots and lots of windows, 18' tall vaulted ceiling in the living room, fireplace, floating balcony off the master bedroom with some stone on the outside, hardwood and tile on the inside. We made a few concessions due to budget but all in all it was the perfect home.

Then we had a child. And another. Followed by another. The definition of 'perfect' changed. Our large and roomy house got smaller and smaller. So it got a redesign and grew by another 1,200 SF. Went from 2 bedrooms to 4. New 1,000 SF garage. It's still not perfect but a lot of dreams have been made and fulfilled within these walls in the past 20+ years.

The next dream house will be located directly on the river so I can look out and see what kind of kayaking day I may have. A wide, wraparound 3-sided porch with a screened in section. One level, with perhaps a rarely used upstairs for guest space. Large kitchen open to other living space and a fireplace to rival those seen at Cracker Barrel Restaurants. Attached garage out back that is almost a separate structure - large enough for cars, toys and work space. The whole thing will have the front facing the river while the back faces any road frontage.

Still a dream for now but should become reality in the next 10 years or so.

Jaybee

Posts: 10111 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Sprite, in that case... consolidate a few counties here into a "gated county" and have the help live in the compound Wink once I owned all the banks and was named Benevolent Dictator For Three Lifetimes, all my ebullient folk would be ever happy and there would be no silly arguments over government or programs.

AAH! AAH! it's a nightmare!!

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5483 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post