All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    Ideas for 1930's-1940's era decor billiard room
        Page 1 2 
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Ideas for 1930's-1940's era decor billiard room Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I figure post I'll question in this forum about design and "decor" for basement Billiard room I'm working on.
        I have an old billiard table from that era which I have done some restoration to, refinish entire base, routed panel look to sides/ends,restored ball returns:rails :aprons, made new feet, ball box and more for more photo's see;

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=353051

I been leaning towards making room fit same era as table (30'-40's) and since I've kept overall appearance of it looking old still I'll try the same thing with room. Also, since other repair work (don't ask) is sucking up some of my funds I'll try to re-purpose materials (moldings,bead-board etc.). So picture old pool hall minus smoke and stale beer smell. Picture tarnished tin ceiling and wall sconce's........
        I got great place to shop here in Baltimore (Second Chance) and will make use of as much used material as possible.
        I'll entertain all suggestions, ideas, advice except for doilies and the like.

P.S. are there better word's for decorating and "decor" , they just don't seem to fit in with Billiard room/Mancave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: measure2,

restored Victor "Palmer"

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jan 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        The classic look would be heavy and dark - raised panel walls, lots of decorative trim, low lighting.

Except for the billiard table - make sure you have a good, classic light directly above. Stained glass. The overall effect is the pool table in an area of light with the rest of the room darker. This would still work if you choose to modernize it with the addition of a TV somewhere.

I can understand loosing the smoke and stale beer smells, but you really should have one or two large breasted blonds hanging around somewhere - especially if they have 'tainted' reputations. All for effect and atmosphere.

What about any wet bar areas? At least a sink, mini fridge, microwave and some counter-space area to save the endless trips upstairs. Of course, water supply and especially draining could be an issue.

And speaking of water - I can't remember from your other posts but is there a bathroom available in your basement? Here too though, an expensive addition.

BTW - Nice looking job on the pool table.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        I can understand loosing the smoke and stale beer smells, but you really should have one or two large breasted blonds hanging around somewhere - especially if they have 'tainted' reputations. All for effect and atmosphere.

Hmmm,... unfortunately the wife saw this post first and "tainted" wood trim or tin ceiling is Ok but "tainted" Women not so much. Maybe old Beer Adds. Already thinking Natty Boh sign (if your not from Balamer, you won't understand)
        Do have water access and small wet bar in plan plus a 3/4 bath, and separate room that could be guest room in a pinch, making sure those two things are not too nice so people don't stay long.
        As far as color I'm going to try to stay on brighter side since it is the basement with just a couple small windows. The "guest" room will get an egress window to keep up with code.Women thing was good Idea because I had picked a out nice sitting area for such distinguished type guests. Wife ruled that out.I have her reading Mancave book by Jeff Wilser and Micheal Yost (I highly recommend this). I'm hoping it will plant some great ideas in her head, that way it will come out as her plan and not mine.

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Forgot to add:

1. A 2x2 drop ceiling with either metal embossed tiles or plastic embossed tiles that look like metal is a good look.

2. I guess if the wife nixes the blond bimbo idea then maybe a couple of golden retrievers?

3. Set up your lighting on several different switch legs. You could install recessed can lights (especially easy if you go with a drop ceiling) and use them when you really want to light the place up.

Jaybee

Posts: 10452 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        I have checked out some 2 x 2 tin tiles already and I am doing a drop ceiling since murphy's law will get me if close up ceiling with drywall.
        Saw tin tiles at salvage place for $16 a piece (old) and they need some work,..checking out other places on the interweb. This design stuff is tricky business!!! I thought for sure that Candice would chime in here and throw some advice this way, or at least hear from Tony Siragusa with us being Ravens fans and all.

posted Hide Post
        there are replica tiles availiable at the home centers that give you the ambience at the price those historic tiles used to sell for

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5832 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I was going to suggest photos of Betty Grable but presumably they would fall in the category of which your wife disapproves.

Have you thought about nose art? Although a lot of it was of buxomy women, not all of it was. And it would certainly fit the 1940's period.

Or how about movie posters, such as of Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke? I don't recall the era - I think it might been the 50's, but at least you'll have something to appeal to the feminine side of the family.

Maybe you could even find some movie posters of 1930's films.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1948 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        The hard part about these decisions is finding sources like photo's or pictures of billiard/pool hall to see how they looked back then. The finished room is a way,s off but thought I better start looking for items in my spare time. Local library has no history type of info and so far online searches have not been fruitful. Plus how do people afford some of this lighting.

Well, time to get back to "labor camp"

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Further thoughts....

vintage travel posters certainly have a sense of history.

or these travel posters which are more realistically priced.

or if you're militarily inclined, these WWII recruiting posters

OTOH, are there interests that you and your wife share in common, such as sports? If so, perhaps you could find some posters for those types of subjects.

I've found that allposters.com has a pretty varied selection of posters.

This might help also: 1930's posters

or 1930's pool hall posters

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        Thanks, the old pool hall photos link gave me some ideas, also figured out one has to ask google the right question to get the answers one seeks....tried "game room lighting" and got a pile of images to go through.

Is there a way add more than one attachment at a time on this site???

posted Hide Post

Posts: 899 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post

Posts: 899 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hey Ron, do you have stock in Budweiser? Thanks for another list of images,.... Choosing appropriate Beer ads is high on list of good design (rule #2 in Mancave book). Since this project has life of it's own and has turned into more of a "period" design I have to rule out modern day ads (most anyway),plus being raised on Guinness I've never been fan of "lighter" beers, no offense. (Grandma would give us some when she would babysit)
        The pool table company (Victor) is from Philly so I'll pay homage with old ad sign from there,and I did spend a few early years in West Manayunk (Belmont hills). Here in Baltimore we had brewers hill (Natty Boh,Gunther)
        I can see this thread getting hijacked after mentioning beer, or suddenly readers are thirsty for a cold refreshi........ng..........b....e..

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Measure, I've never posted photos here but I believe that it is possible to upload more than one. These instructions might help:

On the toolbar just below the DIY Messages Boards masthead, click on New, then Decorating, then Photo Album.

A New Album dialog box will open. After completing the few comment boxes, click on Upload Photos, which opens to your hard drive. Select the file from which you want to upload, and upload the photos.

I don't know if you can change the default photo source to an online one, but theoretically photos shouldn't be uploaded from online sites without permission from the site owner due to IP protection.

You can also set up an online photo album, but unless the photos are yours, you're still dealing with the IP issue.

Glad you've found some themes for your very own pool hall. Smile

posted Hide Post
        Thanks Garden sprite,got to be careful about copyright stuff and don't think I would be able to copy, save and paste anything if they didn't want me to. Will try what you said on site here about adding more pics.

posted Hide Post
        G sprite got me thinking about "decor" ideas (some one please give me better word than decor)..I have extensive collection of photo's from trips to The Way Life Should Be,.. how about this, make some black and whites of scene's like one attached, see if readers can name this spot...

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by measure2:
        see if readers can name this spot...

"I'll go with Acadia National Park in Maine for $200 Alex"

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        Ding Ding Ding Ding---- you've hit the daily double,this bridges builder and well known philanthropist (a.k.a. dude with more money than the rest of us) liked this particular geographic feature in this spot and bridge was named as such,.. Name both for $800

posted Hide Post
        Just checked my new favorite supplier of all things affordable (salvage place) and saw this potentially cool Art Deco bar, even has Natty Boh's mr Pilsner on it

http://www.secondchanceinc.org...px?u=StoreItem&i=929

Hope no other second chance shoppers here spot this

Also saw some interesting paneling

http://www.secondchanceinc.org...x?u=StoreItem&i=1387

Think I'd need the guy on Mancaves to reconfigure all that redwood. Plus wife banned me from power tools until NyQuil binge is over,..

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Now that is one truly beautiful room. I would give up my David Austin roses to have a room like that. And it's only $4200!

The Art Deco bar is lovely too, nice lines and simple yet elegant. Maybe there's a bar building project in your future?