All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    upholstery foam
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

upholstery foam Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Frodo
        posted
        i need some upholstery foam for a couch.
        the upholstery sites on the net, list a wide varity of foam.
        and 2 many choices,confuses the tar out of me.
        i need foam for the cushions, not the 169 dollar stuff for a 24 x5 ft peice
        but a moderate priced foam that will stand up to sitting on it
        any recomendations???
        24inx84in is what i need, i'll cut to fit
        frodo

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Try Jo-Ann Fabrics & Crafts; the larger stores have a variety of foam, some of it quite thick and sturdy and suitable for seating.

If you go to a brick & mortar store, you can see the foam before buying it and ensure that it meets your needs. Foam can be thick, but not very sturdy. You don't want to sink into the foam!

Jo-Ann sales flyers: http://joann.shoplocal.com/joa...ntry&storeid=2412314.

I searched their web site for upholstery foam but got only 1 hit. Best thing to do is locate a Jo-Ann's in your area and call them. Some of the stores are smaller and only carry a nominal line of upholstery fabric and accessories. Look for a flagship store - they have the best selections.

You can also sign up for their newsletters; they used to include a 40% off one item coupon in the newsletters. With the holidays coming, there's a chance for some good buys.

Here are some coupons: http://www.joann.com/merrymoolah/?icn=Home&ici=1-1

If you don't have a Jo-Ann's in your area, perhaps you can find another chain store that carries upholstery supplies. Michael's is a chain craft store ( http://www.michaels.com/) but I don't know if they carry foam in large and thicker sizes.

If you do want to buy online, try an upholstery discount site, such as this one:

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/.

Good luck.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hancock fabric has upholtery supplies
        it is a chain store . if you google it you can locate a store near you.

Posts: 763 | Registered: Oct 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Live near a city?
        Look in the yellow pages under of all things "foam".
        Most will have companys that sell nothng but foam.

joecaption

Posts: 18039 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Along with the local fabric store recommendations, check for local shops that re-upholster furniture too. They can possibly sell you some foam (try it out) or at least advise you on what type you may need.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        thanks, i guess i was overwelmed by the huge selection
        and the salesmen pushing the top of line stuff
        i dont want the most expensive they have
        but i do want something that will hold up
        for 5 years, or more, is better
        basically what i want is the best for less Big Grin
        yes, i am a cheap bas&%#d

Posts: 4089 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hi friend,
        You can buy variety of foams for your couch though goedeker's, a online mega store for branded Foam and Mattresses with best quality.

Tom Mathew

Posts: 22 | Registered: Nov 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        the Oven Cleaners brisbane sites on the net, list a wide varity of foam.
        any recomendations???
        frodo

Need some help. Which foam did you used in your upholstery.. I am bit confused with so many option so can you please tell reliable and affordable foam best suited for upholstery

This message has been edited. Last edited by: carpetcleaninggc,

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        i found out there are foam for the seat of a chair, foam for the back part of a chair, foam for a bed, AND each of these foam applications have 3 [or more] levals/types kinda like small,med, large.
        so i got the foam for seating med range. and used it for the backs as well.
        used the old foam as a pattern. cut to fit. then had a seamstress cover the foam with new material.i chose to have zippers installed instead of sewing the foam closed

posted Hide Post
        I'm cheaper than you. I picked up cushions from a couch that was left out for trash. Or another idea is to find a couch/chair on freecycle or craigslist and cut the foam to size. Using an electric carving knife makes it EASY. BYW, my son says the couch is the most comfortable spot in the house!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Frodo:
        the perth upholstery cleaning sites on the net, list a wide varity of foam.
        any recomendations???
        frodo

Hello friend really sorry for posting in old post but I have been searching for right upholstery foam for a while.. It is new year time and I want to invest in upholstery.. Can you tell source to get good upholstery foam at reasonable prices?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: carpetcleaninggc,

Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the best foam is the stuff with long air chambers in slightly denser foam, it's nice and firm. good seating. I can't find that stuff anyplace, it's obviously a cabal by the furniture industry to keep it out of the hands of the great unwashed.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5849 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Swschrad, are you referring to the foam in which the long air chambers can be seen from the end pieces of the foam, but not from the top? And from the top it just appears as if the foam is solid?

I've seen this in one of the local fabric stores or perhaps Michael's, but I can't recall when or how recently. However, if that's what you're looking for and I run across it, I'll get details on it.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post