All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    ideas for the front pourch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

ideas for the front pourch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I would like to keep a broom handy by the front door to sweep the walkway. I was trying to think of a cutesy, decorative, basket..?..bucket. ? ...broom storage/holder so the broom is readily accessible but looks more decorative, not just a broom on the front porch!

I'd rather not put some kind of rack/holder into the stucco, although there are three 2 x 2 posts I could hook something on. But I can't visualize that as looking very decorative or "cutesy"?

Any ideas?

Posts: 205 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Back in the '80s broom covers sold at arts and crafts fairs might be considered either decorative or cutesy. Typically the broom itself was covered by a design either for an animal or cutesy angel or child. Yarn and soft sculpture were used to create a face or head.

I don't recall whether the decorations were zippered or created in such a way that they could be removed for cleaning, but if you sew, you could easily adapt a pattern to make the covering removable.

I guess it depends on what you would consider "cutesey" and whether the broom would be protected from the elements. If so, and depending on where you live, any fabric covering might quickly get moldy.

You might go to your local Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts store and check through the crafts sections of the Simplicity and McCall's pattern books for some ideas.

These are just coverings for the broom itself though. For a basket, you could check at Michael's or Jo-Ann's for large decorative baskets or containers. Even container pots for gardening might be an option.

If you garden and dry herbs or flowers, some could be added in the container pot to disguise the broom. Silk florals are also an option if you like those. You could also cut evergreen or boxwood sprigs, if you have them in your yard, and add them to the pot to simulate a container plant. Similarly, you could stick some potted plants into a container, setting them on bricks or something to elevate them so the foliage shows above the top of the container.

I guess the question of leaving the broom and decorations on the front porch would be whether you're concerned about them being stolen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1929 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        thanks....all great ideas.

Posts: 205 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post