All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    Bathroom Shelving
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Bathroom Shelving Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello fellow DIYers:

I want to build a shelf on my half-wall that separates the toilet from my sink in our master bathroom. I would like this shelf to have columns that reach from the top of the half-wall to the ceiling. Here's the catch: I'd like the shelves to be made of glass so that it's open on both sides. I saw this a long time ago but didn't think to write down any of the information. Can anyone suggest where I should look or offer some words of advice or tell me I'm off my rocker?

Thanks and happy building!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Conrad
        posted Hide Post
        Does not sound too difficult. Safest would be to find some existing tempered glass shelves taken from another discarded display unit? Tempered glass is always the safest in a bathroom, with all the hard surfaces a breaking piece of glass could cause serious injury.

Then build some supports to reach the ceiling. The shelves could slip into a routed channel inside the support board, just deep/wide enough to accept the glass, or use shelf supports (although these would be less safe if someone bumped up against them)

Posts: 6884 | Location: Plains and Mountains | Registered: Sep 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        In addition to Conrad's concern about breaking glass, mine would be twofold:

1. Whether you'll be comfortable with the visual appearance of see-through shelves, and

2. Shelves open on both side have nothing to hold the contents. It could be easy for things to fall out unless you're using the shelves strictly for decoration. If you're planning to use them in lieu of a medicine cabinet, I don't think it's workable without something to hold in the contents.

An advantage of glass though is that it's easier to clean than wood shelves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1923 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post