DIY Message Boards
Bathroom Shelving

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6821916776/m/6833958897

Jan 05, 2014, 04:41 PM
robaby9
Bathroom Shelving
Hello fellow DIYers:

I want to build a shelf on my half-wall that separates the toilet from my sink in our master bathroom. I would like this shelf to have columns that reach from the top of the half-wall to the ceiling. Here's the catch: I'd like the shelves to be made of glass so that it's open on both sides. I saw this a long time ago but didn't think to write down any of the information. Can anyone suggest where I should look or offer some words of advice or tell me I'm off my rocker?

Thanks and happy building!
Jan 06, 2014, 01:17 PM
Conrad
Does not sound too difficult. Safest would be to find some existing tempered glass shelves taken from another discarded display unit? Tempered glass is always the safest in a bathroom, with all the hard surfaces a breaking piece of glass could cause serious injury.

Then build some supports to reach the ceiling. The shelves could slip into a routed channel inside the support board, just deep/wide enough to accept the glass, or use shelf supports (although these would be less safe if someone bumped up against them)
Jan 07, 2014, 05:01 PM
GardenSprite
In addition to Conrad's concern about breaking glass, mine would be twofold:

1. Whether you'll be comfortable with the visual appearance of see-through shelves, and

2. Shelves open on both side have nothing to hold the contents. It could be easy for things to fall out unless you're using the shelves strictly for decoration. If you're planning to use them in lieu of a medicine cabinet, I don't think it's workable without something to hold in the contents.

An advantage of glass though is that it's easier to clean than wood shelves.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Nov 06, 2014, 03:11 AM
MaryHam
Every home will need a lots of places to store items out of sight. Bathroom shelves should be essential to keep the things of bathroom separately. Shelves are good to manage the things very nicely.

The Best Guide on How to Remodel your home