DIY Message Boards
Dining Room Decor??

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6821916776/m/6593903008

Jan 08, 2014, 08:58 PM
KristinNicole
Dining Room Decor??
Hello Everyone!

My husband and I just bought a house and I am in desperate need of some decorating advice. We had our dining room table delivered right before Thanksgiving, and it looks great! I had it very nicely decorated for the holidays, but now that's over with I have no idea how or what to decorate with!

Any help would be appreciated!! Note: I would like to try and stay away from candles. I have also included a picture of my dining room for inspiration! Sorry, it's a bit dark but we don't have the best lighting in there now.

TIA!
-Kristin

dining room

Jan 08, 2014, 11:31 PM
GardenSprite
I would describe your dining room as elegant yet simple, with the exception of the beautiful scrollwork design in the center panel.

What did you do to decorate for Thanksgiving? Did you use florals, vases, to pick up the theme of the sconces and panels?

So much depends on your own personal taste. So it's always hard to answer this kind of question.

I think I might just have a vase in neutral, such as ivory, or in chocolate colors to carry the theme of the walls. Some green would provide a nice contrast. Fresh roses in ivory would be lovely, or silk flowers if fresh are too expensive (which they are for many people).

Your DR has a lovely classically simple curvilinear style, with some complimentary linear designs in the chair back. I wouldn't overdecorate and spoil the beauty of these simple lines.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Jan 11, 2014, 10:20 AM
KristinNicole
Thanks, I actually painted that scroll work design with a stencil to add a little more character to that room. For the holidays I made full use of floral garland and candles but I like your suggestion of keeping it simple.

Thanks!
Jan 11, 2014, 12:29 PM
GardenSprite
The stenciled scrollwork is absolutely beautiful. I just LOVE it! I never considered it might be stencilled.

You came here for advice, I responded, but now I have advice I never thought of! Thanks for sharing this information. I have a large collection of stencils that I used in needlework; now some of them might be used for wall design.