DIY Message Boards
Damsel in Distress!! Single, Fabulous with a BORING Apartment

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6821916776/m/5863984067

Jun 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
TiffDBachelorette
Damsel in Distress!! Single, Fabulous with a BORING Apartment
I need help! I always imagined when I get my first place it would be so Fab, but I have been on my own for a year & my apartment & decor Ideas are empty!! I began by getting the living room set I wanted but when it was time to make it beautiful with rugs, window treatments, etc I have been at a stand still. I'm single, no kids, and 25 and I want my place to be as Fab as me! Please help pics attached open to change wall painting and color concepts

I love everything leopard I believe that is why I went with a brown tone for my furniture. I want my home to reflect a single young woman not old and dark i have been at a complete stand still.

mi BARE casa

Jun 23, 2012, 12:21 AM
TiffDBachelorette
Another angle of my bare home Confused

Jun 23, 2012, 06:44 PM
mosternaz
The pictures are so dark, it is hard to tell, but you need some color in there. Whatever is hanging above the couch is hung too high. Should be eye level when standing. Get some artwork - doesn't need to be pricy, but make it with some color. Choose some accent colors and use them in at least three different places in the room.
Jun 23, 2012, 09:25 PM
TiffDBachelorette
Thank you for the suggestion I'm going to bring the image down. I'm certainly stuck on choosy a curtain and are rug can you please give me a suggestion on what color should i get those pieces in that would not make the room dark. Here is a picture of my wall art

Jun 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
mosternaz
I would spring off from the orange in your artwork. The rug you choose could maybe bring a little orange in too. Or use a vase or pillows. It is so hard to tell what the colors are now.

You have sheers over your windows, so any curtains could just be decorative - don't worry about darkening the room because you don't really need to close them except maybe at night. I would use a chocolate brown with an edge in either a tan or black. Or a tax with black edge. I can't tell what your couch looks like or what color or pattern it is. If it is a solid color, you could go with a pattern on the drapes. JC Penney has a really nice selection of drapes to choose from.
Aug 04, 2012, 01:40 PM
rusty1978
I know wht you need; TAKE the curtains off, LET THE LIGHT in! seems too dark in there! Use GILA window film too cut/the glare, and UV sun rays!( at Lowes") Get better art// some (few family photos..HAVE HARDWOOD polished floors and get a modern/abstract area carpet..and HANG the tv on the wall, get someone to do a 'brace- the tv on the credenza is boo-ring and will LIFT and make it airy feeling! then- lastly go with a wall color u can live with;; THEN try painting one single wall a Splashy bold to make it fun! I did this; and my apt. was on HGTV 'National Open house tv show in 2008 g-luck!!
Dec 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
KimmiSimplySaid
Hi Damsel,
I'm not a pro at decorating, but I think I might have a simple way for you to spice things up in your living room. I recently became a consultant for Simply Said - they specialize in vinyl wall designs that look painted on. They are simple to put on and also easy to remove without damaging wall paint. They come in tons of different colors and they have hundreds of different designs to choose from - I guarentee that you can find something as fabulous as you Smile

If you want to check out the catalog feel free to visit my website: www.mysimplysaiddesigns.com/kimmi or email me at kimmisimplysaid@gmail.com.

Hope this helps you turn your drab into fab! Smile

Kimmi
Independent Simply Said Consultant
May 23, 2013, 09:01 AM
Retro Lou
You definitely need to brighten the place with some color. Start with the walls. If you aren't brazen enough to paint them a bold color that will complement your furniture and existing decor than do an accent wall (behind Entertainment Unit). I would start by adding some colored throw pillows and accent items like vases and bowls. Black and White actual photos on the walls would add for some depth in the design as well.

Retro Lou