DIY Message Boards
Sidelight Privacy

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6821916776/m/5083978077

May 28, 2013, 07:26 PM
Goomba
Sidelight Privacy
I've Googled silly but cannot find a privacy screen or curtain for sidelights for use at night. Standard front door with 2 6.5"x63.5" sidelights. Any help would be a good thing.
May 28, 2013, 07:35 PM
Re-mdlr
I've seen where people have had mini blinds made up for that purpose -- or you could spray some of the Christmas frost on the glass on the inside. If the sidelights have any 'cane' work, it still shows but does wonders for privacy. Of course it remains painted 24 hours a day, so you won't be able to look outside through them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Re-mdlr,
May 29, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sparky617
If they are standard, they are standard encased blinds for the side lights. I have an encased blind on my backdoor out to the deck from the same company.

Lowe's carries the ones for half and full light windows, the others may need special ordered.

http://www.odl.com/blinds_addon.htm

These are nice because they have a glass covering the blind so they stay clean and don't get beat up by flopping around as you open and close the door or if you have a dog that "guards" your house at the front door from anyone ringing the bell. They install with just a screwdriver. Several of the screws holding the sidelight trim are removed and replaced with a longer screw with a clip that holds it securely to the door.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sparky617,

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
May 29, 2013, 02:51 PM
swschrad
matte window film should do the trick if the sidelights reveal using smooth glass on the interior.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
May 30, 2013, 11:10 AM
Goomba
Appreciate the leads. My local Lowes searched their books and couldn't find anything about ODL, although the ODL website lists Lowes as a dealer. Watchagonnado? Anyway, I did get a lead to a small Bali shade that might work.
May 31, 2013, 09:17 AM
Sparky617
Home Depot carries them as well. I'd try the special order desk in blinds/window coverings.

They should be able to order one if it isn't in stock. There is always Lowes.com.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.