All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    wrong style upholstery foam
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

wrong style upholstery foam Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My first foray into ordering upholstery foam for my couch cushions didn't work out.

I didn't take into account that the old foam cushions had rounded ends at the front. I ordered square foam. Now the square foam just doesn't look, feel, sit, right on the couch.

Any easy fix?

Posts: 201 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Are the cushion covers themselves squared off or rounded?

If they're square, I would think the foam would fit comfortably unless it's too large or small for the cushion cover. When you write that it doesn't sit well, I'm wondering if the foam is too large for the cover? That would make it pull the cover and pucker it, causing it to buckle.

If the cushions are in fact rounded, the only method I've heard of for cutting foam is with a reciprocating saw, but I've never done it and don't know if it's workable.

Thick foam can be hard to cut.

If you can post any photos of the foam both in and out of the cushions, it would help. I just can't help thinking that the foam isn't correctly sized.

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        An electric carving knife is the best and easiest for cutting foam. Good luck.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your replies. It seems the foam is just a little to small. It doesn't fit to the edge of the couch.

I feel like an old cranky granny (maybe that is because I am one)fussing over an insignificant thing. I was just used to the rounded end foam style. And was so excited to get new firm form cushions for the couch

Posts: 201 | Registered: Apr 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Corinne,

For a too small cushion, push the foam as far as you can to the front, so that the gap is to the back and isn't quite as visible.

No problem being cranky over something that hasn't worked out right. If you're not comfortable and it doesn't look right, it's going to be an irritant until you find some way to fix it or get used to it.

I think also the rounded end might be a little bit more comfortable on granny knees - that might be part of the problem.

I've been thinking about how to round over the cushion edge and haven't come up with any suggestions. It's not as if you could use a rounding over bit like you could with wood. At least I don't think you could do that with foam.

If you're really good with an electric carving knife you might be able to take the right angle edge off a bit, but I would practice first on scrap foam.

There is a possibly though that you could take enough of an angle off to put in something very soft and round to pad the angled edge.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

posted Hide Post
        Buy some quilt batting in the fabric department and wrap the foam. It will add bulk and soften the edges.
        If it's really small, you could buy one of those 1" mattress pads and cut to size and wrap, then use the quilt batting. Worked for my LR couch cushions.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Nov 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by jaysmom49:
        Buy some quilt batting in the fabric department and wrap the foam. It will add bulk and soften the edges.
        If it's really small, you could buy one of those 1" mattress pads and cut to size and wrap, then use the quilt batting. Worked for my LR couch cushions.

JaysMom, good ideas. I'm embarassed that I didn't think of them myself! Big Grin

Corinne, In terms of batting, the polyester batting will lose its bouyancy over time. A natural fiber batting will as well, but will last for several years before becoming thinner.

If you live in a cold climate, you could also use the very thick natural fiber batting to add a bit of warmth to the cushions. Or you could substitute a thinner batting for the summer seasons and use a heavy one for winter.