All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Decorating    Decorate the room with glow in the dark designs
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Decorate the room with glow in the dark designs Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hi all!

I want to repaint one of my children's room and I would like to put some nice glow in the dark designs on the wall. I am not much of a painter so how should I approach this?

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Whole lot easyer to install and remove a mural.
        http://www.bing.com/images/sea...ark+murals&FORM=IGRE

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes you're right but I want to put paintings on multiple walls. Like on this picture: http://www.glowinthedarkproduc...w-in-the-dark-paint/ Maybe I will use a couple of prepainted canvasses or something. Are those for sale anywhere?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Julia3,

posted Hide Post
        The murals in the picture were obviously done by someone with some artistic talent. If you don't have that skill, the results will be disappointing and won't look anything like the pictures you posted. Also, once the novelty wears off, neither you nor your child will look forward to turning off the lights each night.

Posts: 841 | Location: Rogers City, MI | Registered: Sep 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Yes, you are probably right. I think I'll just go for some factory-made paintings. Now I have just to find a place where I can buy them. Thanks!

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Julia, Michaels' and Jo-ann Fabrics and Crafts have a section of wall art with mass produced art that can be framed (preferably by them as they also offer framing!). It's not original art but it's a lot cheaper.

You could also try arts and crafts fairs in the spring and summer. I've purchased some really nice art work for nominal prices. This was years ago, but it was still cheaper than commercially produced art. You can mount it and frame it yourself.

I think Joecercone makes a really good point about the effects of glow in the dark wall art on children, especially their sleep patterns and fears, and doubly especially if your children are very young.

On the other hand, if they're old enough to color within the lines, you might even consider getting some good quality coloring books and letting the children choose their own art work. Dover Publications has the best and most sophisticated and varied line of children's coloring books I've ever seen.

Here are a few examples:

Mountain scene with cowboy for someone who likes horses:

http://www.doverpublications.c.../249859/teacher3.htm

Presidents, for a bit of history:

http://www.doverpublications.c.../413241/sample22.htm

There are books of cats, dogs, birds, parks, wildlife, sealife, planes, cars, trains, space exploration and much more. Some are definitely kiddish, but many are really high quality.

Depending on the age of your children, it might be really exciting and encourage their creative sense to have a rotating collection of their own art work.

Posts: 1924 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you GardenSprite, your comment was really helpful. I'll sleep on it but I think I will go for the coloring book option. I can order the sheet on canvas online and then the rest is a piece of cake Wink

Picture of Rain Chains
        posted Hide Post
        Yes you're right but I want to put paintings on multiple walls. May be I will use a couple of pre painted canvasses or something.

Posts: 2 | Location: 4570 Eucalyptus Avenue, Chino, CA 91710 | Registered: Mar 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Hobby Lobby has several good ideas. Watch for sales and you can come out good.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        How about florescent paint or posters, these need a light source. The light is called a black light. No sleepless nights.
        https://www.google.com/search?...=881&bih=517&dpr=0.9

Posts: 885 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post