DIY Message Boards
Ideas for a headboard against window??

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6821916776/m/1863921377

Aug 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
DIYmommy
Ideas for a headboard against window??
I just bought a bed frame without a headboard and intend on throwing the current bed & headboard I have away because I want a unique idea for a headboard. I googled around and saw some great ideas of a detached headboard where the DIY headboard is attached to the wall and not the bed. I love that idea! Problem is my bed sits against a window and there isn't anywhere else in the room where I can sit the bed against a wall.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can use as a headboard that will look good against a window?

Another thing: I plan on putting curtains on this window.
Aug 18, 2013, 05:10 PM
GardenSprite
Are you considering something to use that would actually block the window, or do you want to be able to still open it?

I was thinking initially that you could make a frame that would be something like an outline above the bed, but more solid at the base to provide support. That way you could still see through the window.

If you made something like this, you could attach curtains to the top of the bed frame.

I guess it really depends on whether you want to close off access to the window.
Aug 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
DIYmommy
Well it doesn't open anyway it's sealed shut so that idea might work. Can you explain it a little more?
Aug 18, 2013, 07:39 PM
GardenSprite
I was thinking of something that spanned the width of the window and was attached either to the mouldings or the wall. If the latter, then you'd need to add some kind of spacer behind the headboard so that it could reach the wall.

If you want a curtain/headboard, you could attach a rod across the top of the headboard, and perhaps one at the bottom so that the curtain is actually gathered.

I assume you would probably want to cover the upper portion of the window as well, so you could use a separate curtain for that area, so it could be opened and let in some light.

Does this make sense?

Alternately, as a headboard design, you could use fabric, with or without padding behind it, in a color matching your bedspread, walls or complementing the curtains.

If you're a woodworker, you could create a headboard with a woodburned design, or something more intricate like marquetry if you do that kind of work.

Another arrangement that I've seen and like features bookcases at both ends of the headboard.

Hope this helps. Smile