All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  TV Shows  Hop To Forums  Desperate Landscapes    hillside
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

hillside Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a hill behind my house that is washing bad and the water is running around and through the foundation of the house. My soil is sandy,clay and sand rocks, it is hard to grow anything. evrytime I put some on it, it washes away. I am looking for a quick and cheap fix.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quick and cheap? have the dirt fairy drop your house into a valley. I find the fairies we count on... cleaning, plumbing, sheetrocking, cooking, litter cleaning... are all off drinking and don't answer their phones. next time Tinkerbell is in trouble, I'm going to spit and tell dirty jokes Wink

otherwise, you are going to have to sink anchor posts into the ground and terrace the hillside. that will save the soil. for the house and yard, you will have to generate alternate drainage, and that means cut in some drain swales around the house and plant water-tolerant grass and flowers in them.

had a co-worker's son who had a similar issue and his basement continually flooded. advised him to start fish farming downstairs if he wasn't going to recontour the landscape. the short version is I did not get a chance at cheap fish for the rest of my life. we had a lot of laughs over it, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5500 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I can only echo what Swschrad wrote. This is neither a quick or cheap fix, but you can and should start staging your remediation work ASAP before a lot more damage is done.

And you'll need to address the cause of the flooding. You wrote that the hill is washing away and the water is washing around and through your foundation. I'm unclear as to the location of the foundation in relation to the hill and how the water is getting from behind the house into the foundation. Could you clarify? Photos would help.

Your soil needs to be amended to a good mix of clay, sand and loam in order to be stable and grow anything. Depending on your location, you'll need to add well rotted compost and possibly some peat moss to improve the soil.

But if you don't address the hill slope, you'll still have a runoff issue. You could consider terracing it.

It would also help to know your approximate location. If you're in a desert area, your soil remediation efforts would be different than if you're in a rocky New England area.

Posts: 1742 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post