All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    8' Basement wall with floor truss vs 10' walls with floor joist
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

8' Basement wall with floor truss vs 10' walls with floor joist Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I am in the process of designing our retirement home. I want a finished ceiling height of 8 ft in the basement without any bulkheads. To allow room to run the mechanicals I'am trying to decided which construction method is most cost effective; 10 foot basement walls with floor joist above or 8 foot basement walls with floor trusses above. Any thoughts or experiences on either method would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Floor trusses usually come out cheaper than solid joists - in part due to cost of material and but more-so in easier and faster installation. Add in another 2' of basement(all around the basement perimeter and any interior support walls) and it's a no-brainer, go with the trusses. Trusses can also be designed to span a greater area without deflection.

Even beyond that, with the trusses you have an even plane to install a ceiling if you want to. Joists with mechanicals suspended underneath will require extra framing to box them in or make a ceiling.

Jaybee

Posts: 10480 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        What is the typical center to center spacing when using floor truss?

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        It depends on the span. Wherever you get your trusses from will do the engineering work on their truss computer and will recommend proper spacing for the span and size truss you have.

Shorter trusses (height) will have to be spaced closer together than taller trusses. Most common spacing for engineered trusses is 19-3/16" OC. This makes for 5 trusses per 8' run. With a typical 3-1/2" wide top cord of the truss this will leave a true 16" space to span with subfloor.

Next most common spacing is 16" OC (6 trusses per 8' run) or even 12" OC (8 trusses per 8' run). Although you hardly ever see 12" OC as it is more common to go up in truss height instead of adding so many trusses so close together.

Jaybee

Posts: 10480 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks for your help. I am a retired electrical engineer (transmission & distribution) so this is out of my field. I will install 1 1/8" Warmboard as a sub-floor for hydronic heating, so I'am sure this will also have a determining factor on the spacing. Sounds like I need to contact a truss manufacture before I finalize my plans.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MoHawk,

Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        You're welcome. I'm a working General Contractor so this is my area.

Take as much information as you have when you go to the truss shop. A part of the truss buying service is the free use of their engineering capabilities. Bring in any plans that you have and let them know any other information like the heated floors. They can factor all that info in to their truss design to get you what you need. All without hiring a separate engineering service to do the same for hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        To be more cost effective on building and constructing home, try get your materials at Caldwells Store, in Bay Area, SF. They sells unused old stock materials like insulation, ceiling, windows, wood and glass doors, see this for product portfolio - http://caldwells.com/interior-doors/glass-doors. The price of the unused old stock materials are 2 to 3x less against brand new. They also have used or second hand, refurbished, remodeled and customize materials.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sandy foster,

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: Jan 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post