All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    Just poured foundation walls, CRACK, help....
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Just poured foundation walls, CRACK, help.... Sign In/Join 
        posted
        So I am the GC, but I did hire a builder to be a consultant. SO far so good. Well foundation was poured and it passed my city inspection. It did not pass mine. See the crack in the link below, having trouble posting it direct. It runs through the wall all the way to the footing. The footing is not cracked.

Concrete and builder consultant says its normal shrinkage. Well, I say water can get in, let's seal it by injecting with resin. They tell me not needed.

Can I get some unbiased opinions? I am an engineer, and have many other engineer friends. They tell me while it is normal, that doesn't mean you should ignore it.

Help!?
        [url=http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=21116&title=20140422-184308&cat=500]

building my own home

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        [img]http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/thumbs/20140422_184308.jpg[/img]

[img]http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/medium/20140422_184308.jpg[/img]

you can click on the link, which takes you to the image. from there you can click on the image for the full size and really see detail.

Work safe...trust me, I'm a lawyer (and engineer)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: speed51133,

building my own home

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I know that you look at this and think - 'crack = bad"

It's normal curing shrinkage. It is no more or less porous than the rest of the concrete. It's also just as strong as the aggregate easily bridges the tiny crack in many places. Plus, there are a bunch more of these that are contained within the pour - you just can't (and never will) see them.

It is really, truly, nothing to worry about.

You can coat the wall to make it waterproof. You can coat the wall to visually cover the crack. No epoxy fill will do anything to strengthen the pour. And again, it's not needed. About the only way this crack could ever contribute to a failure would be if it was exposed to water and many freeze/thaw cycles. That's not going to happen with a foundation.

I'm an engineer and a GC and have been around a while. (Probably too long)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10479 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post