All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    Building post and beam kayak hoist - or - Will it hold?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Building post and beam kayak hoist - or - Will it hold? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        What I am trying to do is create a pulley system from the ceiling of my garage in order to hoist and store my kayak up there.

Because my garage is built with engineered I-beams I cannot drill or otherwise attach anything to them as it would require I cut into the beams.

My plan is to use triple sistered (3) 2x6's to span the garage (about 20') and rest them on posts made of tripled 2x4's, all spruce. All sistered pieces of each beam and post would overlap by at least 2' and be secured together by patterned nailed nails each 1 or 1.5 feet of length.

If the Kayak is about 100lbs (kayak + oar + misc items) and hung by two pulley points each about 5' from either end of the beam, will it hold? Any concerns? Any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jorge610,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        OK, I'll qualify my response by saying that I am an General Contractor and an avid kayaker. In fact, I just got back from a great 9 mile river trip about two hours ago.

There is no need for all the extra bracing as the weight involved is just not that much. You should be able to hang several kayaks from your framing with no problems at all.

Just get some eye screws or other type screw-in anchor points and install them on the underside of your I-joists. They will not hurt or weaken the I-joists. As long as your hardware is strong enough to hold the kayak and gear weight, it will be big enough.

If you are really paranoid about attaching to the underside of the I-joists, you can always sister a 2x4 or 2x6 along the bottom cord of the I-joist and screw the eye hooks into that. Of course, you will need to attach the 2x into the bottom cord - which is OK too.

In short, nothing really big going on here, not for some 100 lb kayaks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jaybee,

Jaybee

Posts: 10317 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Your lifting a kayak not a car engine.
        If it was my house I might want to spread out the load by just attaching a 2 X 6 across the bottom of the joist with ceramic coated decking screws, then drill a clearance hole for a 1/2" lifting eye bolt with a fender washer on the side where the nut goes into the 2X.
        That would divide the downward force by 50%.

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        you could also sling some rope or chain over the beams, using those French rings to attach to itself and a pulley, and just raise the kayak. no problem.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        How do you figure someone's going to throw a rope over an engineered floor joist? Cut a hole through the floor?

joecaption

Posts: 18026 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        yeah, I kinda missed something there. I guess I wasn't thinking flat roofs, I have a thing against them.

that's my mistake for the month. I only make one. never thought I'd live to the year 9976, either, but that's the calendar on the wall right now.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5737 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Does not need to be a flat roof, there used for floor joist all the time.

joecaption