All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    Foundation Fill; Is Rain a Bad Thing?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Foundation Fill; Is Rain a Bad Thing? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My wife and I are building a home for the first time. We are using a builder
        and so far the pad was leveled, footers have been excavated and poured,
        stem-walls poured, sewer and water lines laid, and the fill (sand) has been
        put inside the stem-walls and compacted.

We've been delayed on pouring the slab because of rain for the past two
        days. All this rain has made me curious if it has any adverse effect on the
        sand that was poured into the stem-walls. Does anyone know if I should be
        looking for any complications due to the rain? As little as I know about it,
        the rain could be a good thing. I'm looking for some insight.

Respectfully,

Rich
        Pic before rain

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Is there any pools or puddling on top of the compacted sand. If there is then they did a good job compacting. If there is not then it has drained into the sand. Which is not really a bad thing other than it will settle the sand therefore require more concrete to reach grade.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your reply. Sounds like it's a non-issue then. I did drive by the site just now. There's no puddling but today has been dry up until just now. Looks like we have another round of storms coming through.

Sincerely,

Rich Jamison

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Wink The question is are you in a dry area or a wet area? With all the rain it is good to check the area..footing drains are good for wet areas..as far as the rain the contractor should of covered it with a tarp wait for it to dry out and tamp it again before pouring the floor. Rebar should be used and the floor should be saw-cut as a final step. If the area is know for a high water table a drainage system to daylight or a sump-pump is advisable.

Posts: 2 | Location: new york | Registered: Jul 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post