All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    Definition of a basement
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Definition of a basement Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I have a home that was built into the side of a hill. From street level, I can climb a set of stairs on the outside to enter through the front door, into the upper level of the house, the main level. Or, I can enter the house at street level by going through the attached garage, into the lower level. If I enter from the garage at street level, the further back I walk the deeper "underground" I go, moving into the side of the hill that was excavated. I want to sell the house. I would prefer to list the house as a bilevel, 3400 sq ft (1600 lower level and 1800 upper level), vs. listing it as 1800 sq ft with a finished basement. In fact, the house was built as a bilevel; there was never a basement that was finished later. Is it accurate to list the house as bilevel, or does that lower level need to be considered a basement?

Posts: 82 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I think no matter how you spin it, the best you will get is "finished basement'

To be considered finished living space it needs to have 7'-6" headroom in at least 50% of floor space, have heating and cooling capabilities and be accessible to the rest of the house without going outside. You also need at least one alternate means of egress.

Sometimes terminology will differ by region. Why not make a quick call to a local realtor and see how your place would be listed.

Jaybee

Posts: 10335 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks. It has 8 foot ceilings, heating/cooling, basically everything the upstairs has. From upstairs, I can exit the front door or go out from the kitchen or the patio door. From downstairs, only out from the one door into the garage. Will check it out. Thanks, again.

Posts: 82 | Registered: Nov 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post