All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    help building first home how to save money
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

help building first home how to save money Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Block or wood framed home? shingle or metal roof?
        My friend has 5 acres here in FL. Deed restricts mobile and modular homes. she and her husband want to know if it is at all possible to build a home that will be spacious enough for them and their 2 kids. they looked into prefab kits but the framing is mostly what those come with which wasn't the most costly part. when I built mine it was the finishing that cost the most. are there kits that include the finishing? ie cabinets, counters, interior drywall, exterior hardiboard or what ever is the cheapest. etc. they would like no less than a 1700sq ft home but i dont think they really know how big or small as long as the rooms are nice sizes and has alot of storage i think even a 1400 is fine lol. we have friends who said they would help us contractors, framer, roofers, plumbers, and they will be pulling the permits and signing for us also making sure we are doing it correctly. its going to be a big group of friends and family helping so labor and contractor fees are not in the mix. this family needs something.they are in a single wide mobile home that needs a new roof and the floor has opened up in areas. There place now is on someone elses property and have no where else until they get something of their own built. they dont have much money or even good credit mostly becuase their oldest is 9 and Autistic he is in therapy and dr offices just about every week which they pay for. they dont get gov assistance
        selling the property is a big no because they wont get much its values at $8,000 and cant be devided in our small town you can not get less than a 5 acre lot. an it has sentimental value not sure why but it just does lol.
        they heard from so many people some say go for a block home some say stick to wood framed then someone told them shingles cost less but metal last longer. what are some of their options that look good will last and cost less? they want to know if its possible to build around $50,000 and meet their needs

Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If they have contractors and skilled builders willing to help them build the house, then they should be asking them for their professional opinion. If they want to research the pros and cons of different construction methods, a little internet research can give them some basic pricing and lifetime expectations. All this is basic stuff to planning a house - if they cannot do this then they need to be hiring a contractor.

As to cost, some very basic ballpark numbers. Having a basic home built these days will run you at least $125 / SF. If, you can DIY it and get a large amount of the labor for free, then you could possibly pull a finished house in for around $70 to $75 / SF. Now do the numbers: A 1,700 SF house will set them back a minimum of $120,000. The smaller 1,400 house around $100,000. You can see where this is going, If the budget is truly limited to $50,000, then you are looking at a very small rancher built on a slab.

They may want to research more prefab companies as a realistic way to cut down on expensive labor costs.

Jaybee

Posts: 10088 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        the labor is free and the group of friends helping cost nothing just they really wont give opinions or really help as if they were getting paid to do the work. they are just gonna show up and work they dont want to give professional advice with out getting paid. kinda sad but i guess I get it.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Are either of the parents veterans? There might be help available to them if they are.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        .Originally posted by Shortthiing_Jenn: the labor is free and the group of friends helping cost nothing just they really wont give opinions or really help as if they were getting paid to do the work. they are just gonna show up and work they dont want to give professional advice with out getting paid. kinda sad but i guess I get it

I would suggest that they pick one of the skilled 'volunteers' and hire that person to act as contractor or, go outside the group and hire a contractor to run the show. Building a house is a huge project with many decisions to make (and change). It really takes someone with knowledge of the process to make it work. If you are worried about spending some money to pay a skilled person to do this, consider that without a go-to guy running the show you will likely spend more and have a worse house for it.

I've been a contractor running professional crews on construction projects, running the build on TV show projects that must be completed in a few days and have run volunteer projects like Habitat where there have been hundreds (and in one case - thousands) of volunteers working. In all cases it takes a plan that has been prepared by a pro or you are going to be in a world of hurt.

I strongly suggest that they find or hire someone to lead the project correctly.

Jaybee

Posts: 10088 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        [QUOTE]Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        I know her dad was in the service not sure how long or what branch

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        I would suggest that they pick one of the skilled 'volunteers' and hire that person to act as contractor or, go outside the group and hire a contractor to run the show. Building a house is a huge project with many decisions to make (and change). It really takes someone with knowledge of the process to make it work. If you are worried about spending some money to pay a skilled person to do this, consider that without a go-to guy running the show you will likely spend more and have a worse house for it.

I've been a contractor running professional crews on construction projects, running the build on TV show projects that must be completed in a few days and have run volunteer projects like Habitat where there have been hundreds (and in one case - thousands) of volunteers working. In all cases it takes a plan that has been prepared by a pro or you are going to be in a world of hurt.

I strongly suggest that they find or hire someone to lead the project correctly.
        I understand where u are coming from but they really don't have the money to pay for that kind of help when they pay so much in their sons medical. their son is 9 and autistic they get no gov assistance and pay for all of his therapy out of pocket. they would rather sleep in a car than take therapy away from him he really does need it or he can get pretty out of control. and my husband and I weren't professionals yet managed to get ours done in a little over a year and no professional help. we did the footers, poured the slap, built the frame the trusses u name it we did it and our house isn't cheaply built it went above and beyond regulations. I was in 12th grade planning my wedding building our house and working at a day care it was most def stressful but I love that we can say WE did it. been here 10yrs through floods, hurricanes, tornado's (we live in fl) our electric has never went over $120 a mth and not once have we had any issues minus our hard water. We did have our contractor draw the plans and come out before every inspection he would tell us if something looked wrong for some who aren't and thats because it was his license and name on the line. hes going to do the same for my friends. the only thing that we had to hire out was the electrician. Honestly I wouldn't trust any of my family to build a dog house some people just cant but I do feel that if you are skilled with this kind of stuff yes its def pos with out paying someone. in our small town we tend to do alot of things on our own because we pay too much to have someone from the city come out. to have a plumber come out for my neighbor cost her $120 for just the trip fee. that was reg business hrs. sorry but I taught myself how to fix my pipes.it was her p-trap was cracked. I like saving money even if it means taking a bit longer. I also don't pay for mechanics, there really isn't anything I would hire someone for other than electric because this chick don't like getting zapped lol i am not good with all those wires, if i fried something because i hooked it up wrong that would cost more money to replace it. Smile I am not trying to sound mean at all if I do than I apologize. I do get why MANY people need to pay that extra money to get professional help but I am not one of them and I know my friends aren't either they are do it yourselfers as well.

Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Jenn, unless her father was going to take title to the property and apply for VA assistance, and/or unless he has service related injuries, I'm not sure your friend would be eligible.

The VA criteria are multi-leveled and it's not always clear who is eligible or not. I was just thinking that if her husband was a veteran, they could get VA assistance, and that that might be a way to help them not only with their house but possibly with their son's care. I wish I could think of other ways for them to get help but I don't know of any.

You seem like a very self sufficient person, for which I give you credit! I wish I had your confidence.

I would like to share a concern with you though, and that's liability for any injuries anyone working on the house might incur.

With professional contractors, skilled labor and tradesmen, liability insurance would be in place to cover any injuries. With your friend and her husband and your family, I'm assuming that's not the case.

Given the level of financial commitment for their son's treatment, it would be catastrophic if someone were injured while helping build the home.

But I wish you and your friend success in tackling this monumental project. And it's to your credit that you're so suportive of her and her family.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Then is sounds like they have all the bases covered as best they can under the circumstances. The money situation is just one of those facts of life - they either will have enough to build or they will not - you can't find resolution to money problems on message boards.

Just the raw materials for building a house are going to cost in the $50 / SF range. That's $85K for the 1,700 SF house they would like to build. The only way to make that number lower is to find used or donated materials. However, such non-standard materials will cost more in time and misc. materials to install compared to standardized new stuff.

It looks like your friends biggest hurdle is budget and deciding how much they can afford to build. Good luck.

Jaybee

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        Then is sounds like they have all the bases covered as best they can under the circumstances. The money situation is just one of those facts of life - they either will have enough to build or they will not - you can't find resolution to money problems on message boards.
        Just the raw materials for building a house are going to cost in the $50 / SF range. That's $85K for the 1,700 SF house they would like to build. The only way to make that number lower is to find used or donated materials. However, such non-standard materials will cost more in time and misc. materials to install compared to standardized new stuff.

It looks like your friends biggest hurdle is budget and deciding how much they can afford to build. Good luck.
        i just wish i could get them to see that with their budget 1700 sq ft isnt practical why do they need a 20X17 master bedroom and a 10X10 walk in closet or the walk in pantry lol. I am not trying to solve their money issues just see which would cost them the least. block or wood framed homes? are their alternative materials that are good but not as pricey? trying to save them as much as I can. I def agree 1700 is going to cost quite a bit more than a 1300sq ft and maybe once i get them to start price checking materials and ordering everything they will see it too.just didnt want to crush them by saying 1700sq ft is way out of budget even by pinching every little item maybe 1500 and thats really squeezing When our 1200 cost us $70. Her father did say he may be able to help and bring the budget closer to $60000 but still that doesnt add all that much they are still in the same boat.

posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by GardenSprite:
        Jenn, unless her father was going to take title to the property and apply for VA assistance, and/or unless he has service related injuries, I'm not sure your friend would be eligible.

The VA criteria are multi-leveled and it's not always clear who is eligible or not. I was just thinking that if her husband was a veteran, they could get VA assistance, and that that might be a way to help them not only with their house but possibly with their son's care. I wish I could think of other ways for them to get help but I don't know of any.

You seem like a very self sufficient person, for which I give you credit! I wish I had your confidence.

I would like to share a concern with you though, and that's liability for any injuries anyone working on the house might incur.

With professional contractors, skilled labor and tradesmen, liability insurance would be in place to cover any injuries. With your friend and her husband and your family, I'm assuming that's not the case.

Given the level of financial commitment for their son's treatment, it would be catastrophic if someone were injured while helping build the home.

But I wish you and your friend success in tackling this monumental project. And it's to your credit that you're so supportive of her and her family.

oh okay. :/ i still might talk to her dad who knows maybe there is luck for them. never know till ya try Smile and my Mother taught me how to be extremely frugal she raised 9 of us and def money got tight.its ashame none of my siblings are skilled in anything unless FB is a skill lol. Thanks for you thoughts and i will look into the liability ins even if i have to pay for it i dont want them at risk.

posted Hide Post
        if they can't build to show house standards, build to plain ol' house standards. maybe build for future remodel.

for instance... build a 1000-1200 sqft house on one side of the lot, that has two little bedrooms either side of the hall, good sized bathroom, moderate living room, little kitchen in the back corner. situated such that you could stick another one on the other end of the lot, connected to this house.

when you get more money, build the other half. combine the bedrooms for one good one. build two more across and down the hall from the bathroom. put a decent entry/mudroom next to the bathroom where the front door opened into the living room.

dump the existing kitchen, blow the living/dining/kitchen area across both "house" frames' footprint. add a laundry room and guest room to the far end of the place.

that's one idea, there are a ton of others. point is, if you can't afford a McMansion, for pete's sake, don't start planning to build one. the starter kitchen can be tossed out whole or given to ReUse, but don't build so that everything needs to be redone.

you will absolutely need a professional architect to take a cookie-cutter plan and make this work best for you. you will need a general contractor skillset to get the work done, and you need volunteers who can be relied on as if you were paying prevailing wages.

the Duggars took three years once they got off their secure tailbones, but they built two kits of parts into one house. they had a lot of professional help in the process, as well.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5475 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post