All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Building  Hop To Forums  General Home Building    What type of foundation to use on solid rock
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

What type of foundation to use on solid rock Sign In/Join 
        posted
        I'm looking at a piece of property that has a flat topped ridge with a really nice view. The ridge is pretty much solid rock, I'm thinking about building a small structure on it, and I was wondering what the best method for creating the foundation is. I was contemplating drilling and epoxy rebar into the rock and then pouring short concrete piers over. If I make sure that the area between the pier and the stone is sealed and that the piers are under the structure perhaps frost will not be an issue?

My other approach would be to try and pour a slab foundation with some sort of frost protection around the parimeter, but I'm not sure how well this would work. Any suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        As the old saying goes " it just depends". Are the rock visible or are they under the soil? If it were mine I would pin the rock with rebar, form up and pour a footing. You can lay block up to create a small crawlspace space which you can then backfill up against the outside to help prevent with freeze/frost heave.

Not knowing the location I am not sure what your frost/freeze depth would be or whether you can create enough depth to help.

A well reinforced footing will move somewhat together more so than individual piers. Of course their is no guarantee either way but if the complete surface area is rock and you can attach the complete footing I think you would stand a better chance.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Applachain | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Then how do you plan on running power, sewer, water supply lines?
        First thing I want to know when buying land is will it perk.
        Without a septic the land is useless for building a home on.

joecaption

Posts: 18032 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post