DIY Message Boards
Need a house moved

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6221916776/m/1213997008

Jan 25, 2014, 07:07 PM
Automation geru II
Need a house moved
Need to sell a house to have moved. Very cheap, old farm house. But buyer need to move it off property at their cost. Would make an good fixer upper. I hate the go to waste, can't afford to remodel house. Will have to tear down soon. Or any other ideas?
Jan 25, 2014, 09:26 PM
Jaybee
That's going to be a hard sell. I'd do a little pricing research first. Get a ballpark estimate to move it to a distance that's reasonable to expect a buyer to take it to. Add that cost plus the costs to renovate due to the move, costs for new foundation and rough costs to fix it up due to the condition that it's now in.

If all those numbers add up to a figure that is more than what a new, similar house could be built for then the fact is that is isn't going to happen. Only if there is something unique and special about the house will this offset bad numbers.

It's also possible that due to the roads nearby and any obstructions that it may not be possible to move it at all - you should be able to find this out too with a couple of phone calls.

If your research shows that it's impossible to move or impossible to move and make financial sense, then you are wasting your time even giving it away. You may as well tear it down. Or try to salvage and sell parts and then tear it down.

OTOH, if it appears that it can be moved and that the house is good enough to warrant the moving costs involved, then price it accordingly (think like a potential buyer) and offer it at an attractive price so that somebody can justify not only buying it but moving it as well.

Jaybee
Jan 26, 2014, 04:11 PM
swschrad
an attractive price would seem to be the token one dollar. new foundation at the destination, hookups, moving charges (including utility relocations and traffic cops) are going to cost what the house is worth, more or less. a pro mover can estimate them fairly quickly. oh, and permits by the yard all along the route.

just so you know.. and two kegs and a couple of HD pickups are not going to do it. the only thing that is DIY about moving a house is making the food at the new location for the crews to celebrate.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Feb 05, 2014, 03:12 PM
Sparky617
If it has significant architectural details try sending it to This Old House magazine. They have a regular feature on the last page of the magazine every month called "Save This Old House" for homes just like this.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.