DIY Message Boards
Hello All! New home floorplan help please!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6221916776/m/1133956377

Sep 07, 2013, 07:17 PM
nebraskahome
Hello All! New home floorplan help please!
Hello Everyone. I have just started the process of gathering ideas to start a new home construction project new year!! I need help in a number of areas. I am trying to get a good square footage home without to many frills to keep that mortgage payment down. I need help telling me things I have missed and if I should move walls to save on construction costs.

I started a simple website to help us keep our ideas organized that we come up with as we tour different models homes. Please take a peak and let me know what you think! Smile

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com

I will be on often to answer any questions you may have of myself. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you!!

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com
Sep 07, 2013, 07:34 PM
GardenSprite
The first suggestion I would make is to find a way to make the floor plans and house conception photos larger. I did enlarge the floor plans but they're still basically not very readable.

The second suggestion is that you post your specific questions here rather than a blanket request for folks to look over your website and offer general suggestions, especially if you've designed your plans and haven't yet had a builder review them.

You write:

" Builder input is encouraged as we will eventually select a builder who can meet all of our requirements". There's kind of an inference that this is a try-out for builders, and that someone may or may not be selected.

Just some thoughts to consider. Confused
Sep 07, 2013, 08:35 PM
nebraskahome
Thank you for your response. Website has been updated to remove the "builder input" statement.
Also I am having troubles getting the pictures larger but will keep working on that.

I guess its hard to ask a "SPECFIC" question at this point. I have never built, designed or constructed a house before. As stated on the first page of the website my primary questions are....

Should any walls be moved to save on construction cost? (Did I unknowingly create a very difficult floor plan to build?)

Does anyone have suggestions of areas to pay attention to before the build that can save money? (example: Make sure and specify lower grade fixtures.)

Do the room sizes appear to be ok? (Am I overlooking something simple and making a room way to small or large?)

Do you have other suggestions that you could recomend I make sure to include in the build that often get overlooked at estimating time? (example: Make sure and specify you want outside lighting in the soffit)

Once again this is our first attempt at building. I am trying to gather as much helpful information as possible and put it on the website to keep it organized for ourselves.

Thank you again for looking and I hope this is more to your liking.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nebraskahome,

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com
Sep 07, 2013, 08:37 PM
nebraskahome
I forgot to mention that I am trying to get as prepared as possible before taking these "plans" to a builder to have him or her review them.

I am sure more questions will arise for us as we continue on and I hope to find some helpful advice here along the way.

Have a great weekend everyone!

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com
Sep 07, 2013, 08:47 PM
nebraskahome
I believe the picture size has been corrected on the floor plan tab. If you click on the picture it will enlarge.
Sep 08, 2013, 08:25 AM
Sparky617
You have a lot of bump-outs to the exterior. These increase the cost of construction. The more rectangular your house the less expensive it is to build. I can't figure out what the "open to garage" space is on the second floor. The garage must have a sheetrock ceiling and any common walls with the house must be sheetrocked. All of this with fire rated drywall.

What is the 28 square foot bump out on the second floor?

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Sep 08, 2013, 09:32 AM
nebraskahome
Thank you very much for your response! That is exactly the "type" of help I am looking for.

The "open to garage" area is just sheetrocked down to the garage. Kind of like a 2 story entry if you will. I want the extra high storage and an area to put a basketball hoop on the wall for winter fun. Generally around this area the garages are just built over and dead space above them. My thinking is that it would just be 4 more walls to build and sheetrock for that area?

The 28sqft kick out is the front "columns." That was the only way I could get them to "appear" somewhat how I wanted them on the front view.

I am going to try and find a real picture of a house with a very similar front columns and add that on there in a few minutes.

Thank you again for your advice and I will try and find a way to reduce some of the kick outs if possible.

Have a great day!

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com
Sep 08, 2013, 11:09 AM
GardenSprite
Thanks for taking the time to enlarge the floor plans; they're much easier to read now!

I just have some cosmetic and functional use observations, from a woman's rather than a construction standpoint.

The pantry off the kitchen is an excellent idea. The adjacent entry space is larger than the bath. I was curious about this configuration, although I assume that the entry will have a boot rack, etc. for storage of outdoor accessories.

I can't tell for sure if that first floor bath is on a wet wall without spending some time studying the second floor plan. I was also wondering about the purpose for its location.

If not, and if your family does a lot of cooking, I would consider enlarging the pantry by rearranging the pantry, entry, bath and bonus room configurations. Just a thought...

Another aspect I've noticed is that there's no direct access to the pantry from the entryway. This means groceries would be brought in, through the entryway and around the corner to the pantry, necessitating extra hauling of groceries. I don't know, however, if 2 access doors to the pantry would be feasible since it would cut storage area.

On the second floor, getting to the master closet from the master bedroom would always require a trip through the master bath. Good exercise though!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Sep 14, 2013, 01:15 PM
Frodo
plan still to small, and the site is not interactive. such as,,plumbing, what fixtures? hvac, where is it located? gas? elec?
gas to stove? oven? fireplace? dryer? water heater? location? out side hose bibs? location?
ice maker? location sprinkler system/ pool?
septic system? city sewer? location of city sewer? location of water meter?
closet space looks kinda sparce...basement, plumbing?

i would move basement stairs to the garage to gain more room. also the bonus is really small, bump wall out into wasted space in garage, make bonus and bathroom bigger . use pocket door on bonus room closet. .
tired of going back and forth to site...make site interactive... Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,
Sep 16, 2013, 04:31 PM
nebraskahome
Thanks again for the feedback! I think the idea to put access to the pantry from the garage is a great idea! I will update that soon!

Frodo thanks for the reply. You raise great questions but unfortunately I am just not that far into the plan yet. Once I get the floor plan done Ill start adding more detail.

I am going to keep the garage large. The wasted space you mentioned will be used by our family a lot. We are garage people. We are always out in the garage hosting football parties or just hanging out with neighbors. (For instance I have chair rail in my current garage with surround sound, fridge, tv, etc)

I dont really know how to make the site more interactive at this point. I hope to have more time to spend with it later this week.

Thanks again all!

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com
Sep 18, 2013, 08:18 AM
nebraskahome
I updated the site and started a new tab for "updated" floor plans with any suggestions that have been implemented. I also added some information on our family and a couple pictures.

side note: We toured a house this weekend that completly caught our attention. The master bedroom was right about the stairs and the 2nd floor layout was very attractive. DAMN! I still like our plan but may need to make 2 to choose from now! Smile

Thanks again for everyones feedback! Have a great day!

www.buildmyhomeomaha.com