I can't get one of the mounts (the full decorative mount, not just the metal mount behind that) off the wall. The little screw at the bottom will not come out. I tried using one of those acre removal bits with my drill/driver, but that wouldn't do it. Any suggestions? I don't know how else to get this off without ripping it out or cutting around it and creating a big hole in my drywall.
Those little sunken screws are either Allen-heads, very small flat-heads or very small phillips. If you have found the correct size and shape tool and it's still stuck, then you are going to have to get into destructive mode. If not, then keep looking until you find the correct tool size and shape.
If you have determined that there is no way that the set screw is going to come out, then your choices are:
1. Pry the whole thing out of the wall. This may not be as bad as you think - If there is a screw into a stud, then you'll have a solid surface to use a pry bar against. Pry it out with a flat-bar and the only damage will be a small hole made by the screw.
2. If it's anchored just into the drywall, then how big a hole will depend on what kind of anchor was used: A plastic anchor will pry out easily with a slightly larger hole than just a screw. Screw-in drywall anchors will make a 1/2" hole. In both cases, pry gently but firmly - use a flat piece of wood under the fulcrum of the pry-bar to distribute the load.
3. Worst-case would be if there was a butterfly bolt used. Use the same prying method as above but accept that you're going to get a 1-1/2" hole to patch.
4. If you really feel that prying will do too much damage, then take a hacksaw tot he fixture and start cutting it apart. How easy this is depends entirely on the style (and price range) of the fixture.
Thanks for the great advice. Looks like I'll have to cut this out. I don't know what kind of anchor it has behind the drywall, but after twisting the entire decorative piece i am able to turn the whole thing 360 degrees and maybe more. Din't doing much good though.
Oh well. What I thought was going to be a simple toilet paper holder replacement has now turned into a destructive process with patch and paint.
Tangierc, I had a similar problem with a holder that was installed on the side of the bathroom cabinet. After many frustrating tries, I checked inside the cabinet and found the holder was mounted through a large wood block which I assume was for added stability.
This doesn't really help your situation but I thought I'd share the info to reinforce your decision to get destructive as the choice of last resort. It's probably the only way to get the holder out.
Thanks. I've realized I will just have to cut a square out of the wall around the piece I can't' get out. I already bought the sheetrock, joint tape, spackle and paint.
Such as it is...All I wanted was a new TP holder!
For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.