All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    My Old all in one piece wall&tub cracking how to replace???
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

My Old all in one piece wall&tub cracking how to replace??? Sign In/Join 
        posted
        My master bath has a all-in-one tub and wall unit and the tub along the inside edges started to crack so I patched them up. That kept for a few years and now the whole bottom of the tub is falling down. We have not used it in 3 years and have to use the guest bath for showers. My husband and I do almost all of our own home improvements but this one I know nothing about. I need DIY videos to remove this and what might be under it so I can be some what prepared. As well as every ones suggestions on the cheapest way I can replace this. Thanks!!!

Pic of current bathtub

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Removal is easy - and makes for a good excuse to buy a sawzall if you do not own one. Slice it up into pieces and take them out. You'll have to remove the drywall near the surround as there is a lip screwed to the studs underneath.

You can replace with another fiberglass surround unit but it will have to be a mulit-piece remodel style to fit in through the doors. Or, you can go with a shower base and surround, tile surround, tub and surround.

Jaybee

Posts: 10131 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of joecaption
        posted Hide Post
        Most likely cause was no one set the tub in a bed of mortar like is was suppose to be.
        Some of the newer better quality ones are self supporting or have a foam base for it to sit on.

joecaption

Posts: 17995 | Location: Hartfield VA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        if you think ahead to the next 40 year remodel, I saw a departure from usual advice on Rehab Addict you might have missed. put down the mortar bed as the tub maker recommends. but before you drop the tub in, put down a sheet of painters' plastic sheet over the mortar. the tub will be supported, but it can be removed without damage someday in the future.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5497 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post