DIY Message Boards
My Old all in one piece wall&tub cracking how to replace???

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/9133986277

Jul 31, 2013, 02:19 PM
Andreawillmott
My Old all in one piece wall&tub cracking how to replace???
My master bath has a all-in-one tub and wall unit and the tub along the inside edges started to crack so I patched them up. That kept for a few years and now the whole bottom of the tub is falling down. We have not used it in 3 years and have to use the guest bath for showers. My husband and I do almost all of our own home improvements but this one I know nothing about. I need DIY videos to remove this and what might be under it so I can be some what prepared. As well as every ones suggestions on the cheapest way I can replace this. Thanks!!!

Pic of current bathtub

Jul 31, 2013, 04:54 PM
Jaybee
Removal is easy - and makes for a good excuse to buy a sawzall if you do not own one. Slice it up into pieces and take them out. You'll have to remove the drywall near the surround as there is a lip screwed to the studs underneath.

You can replace with another fiberglass surround unit but it will have to be a mulit-piece remodel style to fit in through the doors. Or, you can go with a shower base and surround, tile surround, tub and surround.

Jaybee
Aug 01, 2013, 03:07 PM
joecaption
Most likely cause was no one set the tub in a bed of mortar like is was suppose to be.
Some of the newer better quality ones are self supporting or have a foam base for it to sit on.

joecaption
Aug 02, 2013, 12:10 PM
swschrad
if you think ahead to the next 40 year remodel, I saw a departure from usual advice on Rehab Addict you might have missed. put down the mortar bed as the tub maker recommends. but before you drop the tub in, put down a sheet of painters' plastic sheet over the mortar. the tub will be supported, but it can be removed without damage someday in the future.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?