DIY Message Boards
Dyed Concrete Shower Pan

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/9103942177

Jun 11, 2013, 12:17 PM
DJDave
Dyed Concrete Shower Pan
Hi everyone! I am in the process of redoing the master bathroom: converting from a tub to a curbless, walk-in shower. Since I would like to have a curbless shower, I am doing a mud shower pan with the 2 layers on concrete with the waterproof membrane in between. Instead of tiling the shower floor, I am going to use quikrete liquid concrete color. My question is, what type of concrete should I use for the top layer. I plan on making it 1-1/4" thick as this is what I have been reading. Also, if I make it any thicker, I have to cut furthur into the floor joists, which I don't want to do. Should I use quikrete's crack resistant concrete mix, the 4:1 mix of sand to portland cement, or something else? Thanks for the help!
Jun 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
nona
I really cant answer your question, but, did you cut into the floor joists ???. Are you sure the remaining partial joist will support the weight of the concrete as well as the weight of the person using the shower ????
Jun 11, 2013, 02:41 PM
DJDave
we did look into that concern, and will be installing additional support to make up for what support was lost. thanks for the tip!