Hi! Getting ready to remodel 1/2 bath. Husband and I are having a disagreement. The vanity we're installing will be flush with the floor; I feel we should tile under the vanity while he thinks we should tile to the vanity. In my opinion, it would give a completely finished look and allow for a future owner the option to replace the vanity with one that looks more furniture. We've selected a beautiful neutral travertine and have more than enough to tile under...
Tile under the cabinet. Reasons:
1. Tiling up to the cabinet will change the height slightly. Not a huge amount but will have the net result of making the cabinet shorter.
2. The look of tile passing underneath the cabinet is much cleaner than having a grout line and cut tile all around the perimeter of the cabinet.
3. Much easier to clean tile that passes under the cabinet vs cleaning that same grout line.
4. It's a whole lot easier to remove the cabinet and tile the entire floor compared to cutting tile for a nice fit around the cabinet perimeter.
5. You never know - someday you may want to change out that vanity cabinet. Easy to do if you had the foresight to tile under it to start with, a real pain if you didn't.
Thanks Jaybee! Those were all the reasons I had, too. Just needed an impartial opinion to convince my other half!
I agree, it makes little sense to install a new vanity before the floor is finished.
I am concerned about your installation method of the travertine though. Most people don't realize you need a much stiffer subfloor system with natural stone as compare to ceramic tiles. Of course I don't know if you're on a slab or a suspended wood floor. Please let us know
Tile 4 You llc - Troy, MI
Kerdi shower specialist - Ditra installs - Product-Method suitability consultation. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did once...........but I was wrong!
Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...
For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.