All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Renovate shower floor
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Renovate shower floor Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Do how much thin set do I have to remove before I reptile, or do I really have to destroy the concrete floor and build a new one? I feel like enough thin-set is off the floor (although it is my first time). See pics.

Chunks shower

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        If your pan is leak free and sound, then you only need to remove any flaky or raised thinset. Basically, you need to have a fairly smooth surface to install the new tile.

Since it looks like you are completely retiling the shower the only place that you may have to make any adjustments will be at the drain. That drain style is designed to be adjustable to fit the mortar and tile thickness, but this is a one-time adjustment. You may need to make a trim ring of PVC taken from another similar drain to extend the drain upward to handle the extra thickness of new thinset and tile. This will allow the drain grill to be flush with the tile surface.

Other than that, if the existing is fairly smooth then you are ready to tile.

Jaybee

Posts: 10153 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        after you remove the material you want
        plug the drain and fill the shower pan with water
        let sit for 24 hours...better to find a leak now than later
        you can get a plug for testing showerr drain at a plumbing supply..$6.00

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks A BUNCH! Smile

Picture of Frodo
        posted Hide Post
        watch this your going to need to know it

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E

Posts: 3843 | Location: I live in southern mississippi | Registered: Jun 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Thanks! Smile