All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Light switch
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Light switch Sign In/Join 
        posted
        We have a small bathroom we started years ago and are on hold for not knowing where to relocate the light switch. Our old switch is located slightly inside the shower when opening the door. My husband wanted to move to other side and change the way the door opens. My sons hate that cause you then open the door and see the toilet right there. I suggest moving the door over a little but that is a major deal I guess. How crazy would it feel to have to walk in the bathroom to the sink about 5 ft to turn on light and just leave a night light always on? Help we have not much money but I'm also tired of waiting for so many years for a bathroom.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I write only as to safety issues. I think even considering a switch 5' inside the bathroom is unwise. Regardless of your age and/or health conditions, bathrooms can be hazardous.

If water gets outside the shower curtain and is on the floor, the next person coming in could have an accident just trying to get to the switch.

And leaving a nightlight on will add to your electrical bill, as you probably already know.

Personally, I don't see the problem with the toilet being visible as soon as you open the door. Everyone uses one; they're absolutely necessary so I wonder why your sons object to this? But maybe there's something about the configuration of the bathroom that isn't obvious without a photo.

Sounds like you're kind of caught in the middle and are getting frustrated about the whole situation. After starting "years ago", maybe you and your husband as parents and responsible parties should decide what to do.

Good luck. Sounds like it'll be hard to please everyone. Frown

Posts: 1743 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        I've had a few cases where smaller bathrooms don't leave many safe choices for switches - we have moved the light switch to outside the bath next to the door.

Jaybee

Posts: 10133 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jaybee:
        I've had a few cases where smaller bathrooms don't leave many safe choices for switches - we have moved the light switch to outside the bath next to the door.

I did the same thing about two weeks ago. I also fully explain why this HAS to be done to the homeowner. She understood completely but her teenage daughter did not like it much. Mom asked who pays the bills around here and the conversation closed for the time being.

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1402 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post