All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    Full flush toilet?
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

Full flush toilet? Sign In/Join 
        Picture of Goomba
        posted
        Where can I get a new, 3.5 to 5 gpf toilet? Even googling didn't help. Thanks,

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern TN | Registered: Aug 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        dig deep in the landfill, and glue the parts from one back together. it's the law that you can't install one any more, so they don't make 'em. went out of stock years ago. the folks tried chasing them something around 15 years ago after a low-flow unit didn't work for them, and they got lucky and found one at the wholesaler buried behind a bunch of slow movers.

you might, might, be able to get one at a plumbing salvage store.

your other option, assuming you have iron drain pipe that doesn't flow smoothly and clogs, is to replace it down to the (usually) clay or PVC outfall to the street. ABS or PVC, according to the codes in your area, are both fine for the purpose and allow the low-flow units to work. this is usually permit work, and being DWV which has multiple hazards if done badly, requires certification of skill. usually this means a journeyman or higher plumbing license in the real world. could get 2nd-mortgage costly.

if the old pipe was installed correctly with the right slope and all, a plumber might be able to razor the existing pipe clean enough to work, at least for a while, with a power auger.

there is something called a power-assist toilet which basically stores energy from the last flush, and uses it to boost the flush, or uses a pressure bypass from the water line. assault-weapon toilet? they are higher priced, discuss your issues with a knowledgeable licensed plumber working as an apron at the home center, if you can find one of them, or with your regular plumber. I bet it's a special-order item from the wholesale house.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: swschrad,

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?

Posts: 5512 | Location: North Burbs, MN | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CommonwealthSparky
        posted Hide Post
        Are they not available in Canada ? For some reason I though they were...

Popeye only reached for the Spinach can as a last resort...

Posts: 1410 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        I recall seeing a dual flush toilet on one of the DIY programs - might have been TOH. There were low and full flush options, depending on the need.

I suspect something like this might have been a European invention.

At any rate, it seems to be the best of both worlds, assuming it works as represented.

Posts: 1746 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post