All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    cast-iron tub
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

cast-iron tub Sign In/Join 
        posted
        Hello, just was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on redoing a cast-iron tub. It is actually in really good condition but dose need to be resurfaced to look new.

Also, on a side note, if anyone has an idea, this is a remodel for my bathroom, and the house is about a 100yrs old, I wanted to be period specific, should I go with the pedestal sinks or cabinet?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Addressing only your second question, I did a quick search to get an idea whether cabinets or pedestal sinks might have been more popular and found some photos that might help. They wouldn't necessarily indicate which style was used more, but might give you some ideas to help you decide between the two.

Check out these photos:

https://www.google.com/images?...6jIGABw&ved=0CEoQsAQ

Unfortunately, those search parameters bring up more than just what the style was in that period, so not all the photos are relevant. But it's a start.

If you have trouble getting to that link, google "1914 bathroom cabinets". You could also try various "1914 bathroom fixtures" and see what you get.

Personally, I'd go for the cabinets for 2 reasons: (1) better use of space for storage, and (2) there seem to be some attractive styles.

I tried the This Old House site but didn't get anywhere.

When I replaced my too large bathroom cabinet, I kept it as it had Victorian styling which I really liked. It's in the basement, waiting to be converted into storage space for basement items.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,

Posts: 1964 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        See what you think.?
        I found this searching 100 year old homes.
        http://www.countryliving.com/h...d-after-0910#slide-1

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        Then there's always this chance or something like it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...prise_n_4604077.html

Posts: 907 | Registered: Jan 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        posted Hide Post
        quote:
        Originally posted by janakeas:
        Hello, just was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on redoing a cast-iron tub. It is actually in really good condition but dose need to be resurfaced to look new.

Look up in the yellow pages under Bathroom remodels, or Bathtub refinishing -- I have seen where Miracle Bathtub redid a tub and it came out pretty good looking, but I don't know how well it lasted

The bottom line is that there are companies that do that kind of work, but you have to just check for what is available in your area.

They make it look so easy on tv, don't they

Posts: 993 | Location: No. California | Registered: Mar 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post