DIY Message Boards
NO Flush Zone. Toilet options?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/7763989377

Sep 25, 2013, 09:56 AM
Sparky617
NO Flush Zone. Toilet options?
Clumping would be better for long term use. Instead of winding up with a bucket of wet clay from urine you can scoop out the clumps and continue to use the litter. However clumping is useless as a traction material for your car.

For the cat we get a 42 pound bag of it from Sam's Club and it lasts a couple of months. I think it runs about $15 a bag. Clay litter is useful for traction and for cleaning up oil spills. But some cats won't use clumping and some won't use regular. Hard to say what goes on in their little cat brain.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Sep 25, 2013, 10:11 AM
Conrad
Clumping it is, then. Thanks. We never had cats, to I had no idea what the differences were.

I have never carried any kind of cat litter in the car in winter. I have carried a small container of Ice Melt crystals just in case I was ever stuck on glare ice in a parking lot or intersection. Mostly it has come in handy for other folks in cars near or ahead of me. Wink
Sep 25, 2013, 10:17 AM
GardenSprite
Conrad, these drywall buckets are reusable right, with just the plastic bag inserts changeable? Do they have seats on them or is basically just squat over a bucket? I was thinking that if they just form the structure and basis for the inserts, that a commode would work just as well, especially for older legs that don't squat as well (especially behind bushes).

Sparky, when I had cats, my vet suggested using newspaper as an alternative to litter. He said to shread it so it could be moved about by my 2 cats, to simulate burying as they would with litter or if they went outside.

It took a while for them to get used to it, but eventually that's all I used. It was a lot easier than picking up little bits of cat litter than stuck to their paws. Of course, these days, I think the use of newspapers is far more limited and the glossy junk mail wouldn't work as well as the more absorbent newspaper.

I always carry a plastic jug of salt in my car, sometimes a shovel, along with about a dozen blankets in case we break down and the car won't start. It would help us, especially my father, keep warm in a frigid Michigan winter. I also have a lot of extra mittens, gloves, thermal socks, hats, etc. Half of my trunk is filled with cold weather emergency gear!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GardenSprite,
Sep 25, 2013, 10:38 AM
Conrad
Yes the buckets are reusable. Right now I have some without lids. The Amazon seats say they snap down and sort of seal to keep out flies. (certainly not 'tip over' safe sealing)

http://www.amazon.com/Tote-abl...oliid=I1MTV3YAQ1WIVX

I think a heavy bag liner would be best too. However some just hose out the buckets at the lift station, or when they dump contents in the porta-sans. (not something I would want to enjoy as a group activity)

Some people have found the solution to even shut the water off to the home toilets (plunge till dry) and line them with a heavy duty trash bag. Not sure how one would easily deal with the bags then? You would still have to transport and dump contents. The transfer station (garbage) does NOT want human waste.

My hope is that some temporary solution can be found before we get there. (And as it is still a second home for us, (at this time), we won't need to stay for weeks/months at a time.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,
Sep 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
GardenSprite
I had forgotten that another advantage of kitty litter is odor absorption.
Sep 25, 2013, 05:52 PM
Conrad
YES! And if we get some of that "Subdu" enzyme product from our friends, we may not be in such a stink after all! Big Grin.
Sep 25, 2013, 10:08 PM
Frodo
this option come to mind to get rid of waste..
do you have a handicap potty chair? there great for camping and emergencies
place a half of a 50 gallon drum under it...then burn the waste when it gets full.
sorry to hear you guys are flooded out...

https://www.youtube.com/*****?v=vn7bkncf1_E
Sep 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
Conrad
I actually have been regularly checking Craig's list here for just that item Frodo. (The handicap chair toilet) Saw where one could just put the drywall bucket under the chair. It would be height adjustable too.
Building a sturdy 2x4 platform for the drywall bucket potty was also recommended, as they tend to be a bit lower than normal seating.

Funny event, I guess one of the neighborhood, porta-pottys blew over in a 45 mph wind gust the other day. (Luckily no one was using it at the time!) That would not be a fun experience.

It is not unusual to get wind up to 60-80mph gusts in the winter there, and they are now looking for strategies to make them more stable. But just maybe...we might luck out and have the sewers functioning before we get too far into the winter.

Gosh, so where are those spammers??? Thought for sure they would jump in by now, especially with some of Garden Sprite's suggestions.
Sep 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
Frodo
i got one....pm your address, i'll send it/ you pay the freight...chairs free

i either dig a hole and set chair over it, back fill hole when done
or
put a garbage bag in the bucket, throw it in dumpster
depends on where i am camping

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Sep 26, 2013, 08:47 AM
GardenSprite
Conrad, if Frodo's deal doesn't work out or you need the chair sooner, check listings for estate sales. Sometimes accessibility items can be found in these sales.

Commodes aren't all that stable in the first place, so some stabilization would help.

I think the spammers were frightened off by Anne Layman's aggressive posting and challenging Frodo and me. Maybe they thought she was the fire-breathing spammer and decided to go elsewhere where the atmosphere was more hospitable and they didn't have to compete with a fractious spammer.
Sep 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Conrad
You guys are the best!
Whom else can I have a cyber conversation about poop buckets with??? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Sep 26, 2013, 11:05 AM
swschrad
ah, we're so full of it, Conrad Wink

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
Sep 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
Conrad
LOL!!!
Sep 26, 2013, 06:44 PM
Frodo
for a temp toilet....1- 55 gallon drum drill holes in drum, lot of em
yard of pea gravel. out house
dig a hole . with a backhoe, 4' deeper than your 55 drum
fill hole with gravel, put the drum in the hole. cut a hole in the top of the drum
insert a short 4" pipe [stick it in there 6" ] put your out house over the whole shebang
glue a flange on the pipe, set the toilet its a temp septic tank, buy a bottle of septic tank critters [shock treatment]
pour into the tank, grab a handfull of magazines and go for a good read

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Frodo,

Sep 26, 2013, 07:39 PM
GardenSprite
Think how much simpler life must have been for Neanderthal, CroMagnon and our other ancestors. No toilet paper, no toilets, just lots of grassy areas or forest or whatever. Of course the beasties had to be considered as well. Personal hygiene undoubtedly had to be taken care when the saber tooths weren't around.

How life has changed for humans over thousands of years!
Sep 27, 2013, 12:52 PM
Conrad
Today I scored a near brand new, adjustable Medical Toilet seat for $10 (that one can slide a bucket under) from Craigs List!
Thanks again for your kind offer Frodo.Wink

A friend's husband gave me 3 drywall bucket lids, as I already have the buckets. With a bit of Kitty litter we are now set to experience the no flush zone!

This entire year, so far, has been a cornucopia of events and new learning experiences for us. We
really could actually use a bit of a break, however. Maybe we will be flushing sooner than later? Smile
Sep 27, 2013, 04:04 PM
Frodo
blue water

dont forget your chemicals

Sep 27, 2013, 04:24 PM
Conrad
I hoping to get some enzyme product from our friends. Only takes a very small amount.
It will help with odor and break down. The porta-sans should be not too far away, and we can dump the contents into them as needed. Not sure if we will actually need much of the kitty litter.

(unfortunately some people do not understand how this all works, and have been dumping their plastic bags in the porta-pottys). It plugs up the vacuum hoses when they attempt to pump them. Errrgggg!

This is a good education for many, hope they take advantage and learn from it....and appreciate things that we all tend to take for granted so much of the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Conrad,
Sep 27, 2013, 06:14 PM
Frodo
i would be diggen a hole in the backyard and installing a temp septic tank'
most likely pretty close to where i will be building another shop...one day
if you have access to a back hoe, the rest is cheap

Sep 27, 2013, 06:17 PM
Frodo
quote:
Originally posted by GardenSprite:
Think how much simpler life must have been for Neanderthal, CroMagnon and our other ancestors. No toilet paper, no toilets, just lots of grassy areas or forest or whatever. Of course the beasties had to be considered as well. Personal hygiene undoubtedly had to be taken care when the saber tooths weren't around.

How life has changed for humans over thousands of years!

it was simpler, and less hetic, no stress'
but the critters would eat you! we were not on top of the food chain yet. we were the "other white meat" horrible way to go