DIY Message Boards
Prefeab Shower - Cracked Floor

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.diynetwork.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6191013504/m/7603933077

May 06, 2013, 06:39 AM
ssdavis1954
Prefeab Shower - Cracked Floor
I have a ONE PIECE prefab shower. The floor is cracked.

Can I do something to put a new floor into the existing one piece prefab? Tile? Something?
May 06, 2013, 08:37 AM
Jaybee
Not really much you can do. Once a crack is there it's going to leak. While it's possible to fix some cracks (depending on size and the material used for the base) it must be repaired from underneath. If you have to got to he trouble to remove the shower base, you might as well replace it with a new one rather than repair.

Now, to qualify - you could do some form of fiberglass repair from the top that may keep it from leaking. But, it would not look very good.

Jaybee
May 06, 2013, 11:48 AM
swschrad
fibered Bondo comes to mind... cut the crack wider, mix the material with the hardener, and shovel it in so that there is some support under the pan. smooth off a little high and sand to height when hard.

if you like a nice stripe of pink in there.

there is also the probable issue that that's all the support under the pan, so it will crack elsewhere.

pull and replace is a better option. if you would dump the cost of a one-piece into a Schluter pan kit and waterproof membrane, you will have a beautiful surface to tile on, all 5 sides.

sig: if this is a new economy, how come they still want my old-fashioned money?
May 06, 2013, 03:43 PM
Jaybee
The Bondo thing will not work. It will not be as strong as the original and since the original cracked, then the repair will too.

There really is no other way that makes sense other than to replace the pan.

Jaybee
May 07, 2013, 06:34 AM
joecaption
I agree with Jaybee 100%.
Do not put this repair off. It's not going to get less expencive to fix by waiting. But there will be far more wood damage and mold if you wait.

joecaption