All Projects

TV Projects

What Do You Want To Work On?

What Activity Do You Want To Do?

Available Projects

Get Results

DIY Network /

Message Boards

DIY Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Home Improvement  Hop To Forums  Bathroom    replace the pieces where the shower/bath knobs go
        Go
        New
        Find
        Notify
        Tools

replace the pieces where the shower/bath knobs go Sign In/Join 
        Picture of CAllynB616
        posted
        I recently purchased a fixer-upper home, we are now living in it and a major issue is funds for starters so I would like to do a lot of work myself. I would like to know how to change out the knobs of the shower/bath. Not just the knobs themselves but the part they attach to, the previous occupants seem to have broke the cold water knob off and I have no way to screw in the new ones. I am not concerned with the wall it is only sheet rock at the moment. Please help?

Courtney-Allyn

Posts: 3 | Location: Jacksonvill | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of Jaybee
        posted Hide Post
        Three possible ways from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Get new knobs. If all the rest of the faucet valves are working OK, then it's just a matter of getting new knobs. There are many styles of generic knobs available at home stores. You could spend as little as $10 for this.

2. In addition to knobs, get new valve inserts. These are the brass parts that the knobs attach to. They will vary by brand and style but most are a metal valve assembly with some washers. These too are available at most home stores. The hard part if finding the exact match. The foolproof way is to remove the existing valves and take them to the store with you. Just be aware that showers do not have cut-off valves so you'll need to cut the water off to the entire house before removing them. Cost can run $8 to $15 per insert.

3. Replace the entire faucet. Here you get new everything. A good tub/shower faucet will set you back $150 but are available cheaper. The big thing here is that you will have to remove the entire existing valve assembly located behind the wall and install the new one. As holes may not match up or there may not be good access, this can get expensive and time consuming.

Jaybee

Posts: 10148 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CAllynB616
        posted Hide Post
        I will have to go with either option 2 or 3 there is nothing to connect knobs to I have already tried that. Thank you.

Courtney-Allyn

Posts: 3 | Location: Jacksonvill | Registered: Aug 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of GardenSprite
        posted Hide Post
        Courtney, if that is your real name....it isn't a good idea to state your full real name on a forum. You might want to edit your second post and delete your full name.

Just a word of caution....

Posts: 1746 | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
        Picture of CAllynB616
        posted Hide Post
        Thank you for your concern but I only have my first name posted that is not my full name

Courtney-Allyn